• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Climbing anyone?

I've taken a few advanced level high angle reswcue courses. The last course in 08 we climbed about 180 metres up a tower for a practice rescue scenario. It was interesting to say the least.

Those climbesr were supposedly in trouble with OSHA for their free climbing and improperly securing their lifeline to the mast steps where it could have easily slipped off. The owner of the video tried to have it removed from the internet but by then it was too late as it had spread to many different sites and was impossible to remove.

I wish I could have the opportunity to climb something that high !

Iv washed windows on the sides of building 90 rooms up...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

OSHA allows for free climbing without constant strapping on certain parts of the climb.

Tower climbing seems glorious, but with the recent rash of tower installations the pay is very poor and proper training is hard to come by. Most climbers are subcontractors and are paid around 10 dollars/hr. This is mainly in the telecom industry.

The narrator said the visible horizon is 55 miles at this height. A 6' person at the beach can see a visible horizon of only 3 miles +/-.

Working the oil rigs I've seen some iron workers do some crazy things as far as going up and coming down, but this is much more. Most iron workers and tower maintanence climb in this manner. Having to stop and move your lanyard every other ladder rung is bothersome and becomes more of a hazard after a long climb or a long day. I worked with an electrician that did this type of work for a couple of years. This video appears correct and common. Except for the tower height.

I watched the whole video, id freebase jump off the top after the job is done. Parashoot back to the truck :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It has been posted here several times over the years.
I used to do Maintenance work on multi stage evaporator`s in the food processing industry, 100' was the limit for me.
By the time I left there, we could not work more than Ten feet off the ground with out a full harness.
I can remember setting some 30,000 gallon tanks in the early days when we used to ride the ball on the hook up....... I better not finish that story.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.