• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Clubs

cycleguru

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Aug 4, 2013
If you are a member of a local ham radio club, how about telling us about it. Like how often you meet, some of your activities, how many members, etc.

Here in the rural Northeast Oregon town of La Grande we have a club that meets monthly. We have about 30 paid members. Some of our activities include a monthly "rag-chew" breakfast at a local restaurant, a booth at the county fair where we operate a special event station, a swap meet, and, of course, Field Day. We have three Fox Hunts during the summer months and we also hold licensing test sessions. Check out our web site at
W7GRA.org.

Well. OK then. No radio club members here. I highly recommend joining one if there's one in your area. It's a great way to learn from more experienced hams who always bend over backwards to elmer new hams. Also, most clubs have equipment they loan out to help new hams get started. Club membership is just a great way to make friends with some really nice people.

Mark K7OWG

I've never been much of a club "joiner" either, but this was different. They provided the venue for me to take my tech exam.(I took and passed general and extra at other locations). Even though I passed with flying colors I realized that I didn't know anything and what better place to learn than with a group of hams with a few hundred years of combined experience and accumulated knowledge? Not to mention that my first HF radio was a loaner from the club! Clubs aren't for everybody, for sure, but this one was and still is good for me.

Mark K7OWG

I'm not the club member type either. Too much hierarchy in most of them. A lot of the old farts think nobody knows as much as them just because they were a ham for 40 or 50 years despite the new guy having a broadcasting engineering background. Some even feel threatened about the prospect that someone may question them. I don't need a club to enjoy amateur radio or to help others enter the hobby.

There's a club here that's been around for a long time. I've been a member off/on since the early 70's. The 'off' periods have been when I just had other things to do, sort of. Lately there's more activity because of an association with the Emergency Management organization, weather etc. I'm a member now (even paid the dues when I remember), and have fun with it.
Clubs aren't for everyone and that's fine, no one says you just gotta belong. If you're interested in what the club is doing then participate. If not, then don't. That goes for the members as well as non-members. The club meets once a month, sometimes at a local 'eatery', or sometimes in the EOC office. I've held an office in the club (HA, not again though, I hope) but that's not a requirement either. Whatever makes you happy, you know?
- 'Doc

(There's even an elevator! We meet in the basement of the jail. How many people can brag about being 'under' the jail??)

Been a member of Marion Amateur Radio Club since I got my ticket. We have monthly meetings September thru May. Executive board takes care of most of the politics at a separate meeting. We have classes twice a year for Teck and general as well as VE testing 4 times a year, active in several events around the community and field day.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated