• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax Question

Big Dog

Sep 4, 2008
I have a GalaxyDX99V with a 250 watt amp, do I have to use a certain type of coax for the setup to work properly? There is a problem with the hood pinching the coax where I want to mount the ant. if I use the heavier coax. THANKS ,Lou

Lou,
There are a couple of things that you should keep in mind about what coax you use. Unless for some specific reason, the characteristic impedance ought to be the same as the 'rest' of the antenna system, typically 50 ohms. It ought to be able to handle the power being used. At 250-300 watts, that's almost anything larger than about 3/16 inch in diameter (not the best way of gauging it, but close enough). And it ought to physically 'fit' in the space available. If it'll do all that, it'll be just fine. If it won't do all that, it's time to rethink how and/or where you're going to put that antenna.
From what you describe, the thing to work 'around' is making sharp bends in the coax, just not a good idea with any coax. It also sounds like drilling visible holes isn't an option, so how about 'hiding' one'a them holes for the coax to go through? Probably a viable solution if enough imagination is applied to it, sort of.
Good luck with it!
- 'Doc

Thanks for the comeback, Doc, Ill see how it fits tomorrow, also can I use a heavier coax to connect the radio and amp together even though Im using a lighter gauge coax for the antenna? Thanks

Can you use a larger size/diameter coax between radio and amplifier? As long as it is the right impedance, sure. Not much point to it, but certainly possible.
- 'Doc

Can you use a larger size/diameter coax between radio and amplifier? As long as it is the right impedance, sure. Not much point to it, but certainly possible.
- 'Doc
I already have the wires just trying to save some $,Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.