• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax splitters

xflyerwdavis

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 4, 2014
I have a Yaesu 897D radio and on the back are two antenna connections. One is for HF and 6meters the other is for 2meter and 440. My question is there any such thing as a 2 input/2output coax splitter? I have a diamond 2 meter/6 meter antenna and a long wire sloper that I want to connect to complete my station setup. If this item does not exist does anyone have a schematic for a homebrew? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Walter KD4OMR
retflir@gmail.com

The two switches is probably the best route. I really wish manufactures of DC to daylight rigs would make a separate antenna jack for 6m and not have it common to the HF port.Most of us run a separate 6m antenna from our HF antennas and any switch designed for HF is going to be dicey on 6m. When going with a pair of switches (or any time using switches for VHF) make sure you use a switch rated for that frequency range or the SWR will be terrible going thru the switch. I use a couple Daiwa CS-201's rated at 2.5 Kw and good to 600 MHz.

Reactions: 2 people
I have purchased a dual input single output switch and a single input and triple output switch. I am going to connect the two antenna connectors from the radio to the dual input switch and take the single output into the single input of the triple output switch and then run one output to my HF and one output to the 2meter/6meter antenna. Does this setup sound like it will work and solve my problem?
Walter KD4OMR

Reactions: 1 person
Sounds like it will work just fine. What's the 3rd output for, a dummy load? Future antenna? Good thinking actually to give yourself an extra output port.

Should work great for you if, I say IF the switches are rated for VHF/UHF. Almost any switch will work on HF however VHF/UHF is a completely different story hence my reference above to the Diawa switches.

Switch wattage

The switch I received today is rated at 1000 watts; I hope that is sufficient. Where do I find the information you mentioned about the Diawa switches
Walter KD4OMR

Power rating has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the switch is rated for VHF/UHF service. It is all in how the switch is constructed. Switches suitable for HF service may simply be an insulated wafer with tabs mounted on it with connecting wires an inch or two long. This is completely unacceptable for VHF/UHF however.Switches for these frequencies require that the construction more closely imitates a piece of transmission line or what is referred to as a strip line. What switch did you get?

Daiwa CS-201A Coax Switches CS-201A - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering

Coax switch

Captain
I received a Workman model CX-3. The other one has not arrived in the mail as yet. I am going to check out the Daiwa 201A switch and will probably order two of those.
Regards,
Walter KD4OMR

Ummmm....yeah....I don't think that switch will work too well on 2m or 70cm. The SWR will be quite high as it is a wafer type switch. Here is a picture of the insides of the Daiwa CS-201 switch. Notice how it uses a cam to move a piece of spring metal that is silver plated with gold contacts. The RF path is thru a metal channel that resembles the inside of a coaxial cable. Word of caution:this switch grounds all unused ports so be extremely careful NOT to transmit with it in the wrong position or you will be transmitting into a dead short. Either way is not good but it is better if you accidentally key into an open circuit than a dead short. the PA stage does not work as hard.

DAIWA%20BINNEN.JPG

Thanks Captain
I will not use the two switches I purchased. I will order two of the Daiwa switches. I hope they manufacture a 2 input one output switch. I have seen the one input two output version.
Regards,
Walter KD4OMR

Thanks Captain
I will not use the two switches I purchased. I will order two of the Daiwa switches. I hope they manufacture a 2 input one output switch. I have seen the one input two output version.
Regards,
Walter KD4OMR
Use it backwards. I don't see anything in the picture CK posted precluding it, do you?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.