• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax

CDX197

Apr 2, 2005
Nebraska's cornfields
Will i need bigger coax than RG8X to run a 4 pill with a 2 pill driving it? Thinking of getting a tower and need to know if i need bigger coax. So i wont have to climb up and reconect it.Will the coax work for a little while till i can get some bigger coax? If i need to. Or will it even work?

CDX197,
Will the RG-8x work? Probably. Would it hurt to use a different coax? Not really. (It may not help much, but it shouldn't hurt.) If you have any doubts about your set up, why not go ahead and make the change before running any power? That just makes sense. You might take a look at one of the specifications tables for coax, some types handle less voltage than the RG-8X (voltage is what 'eats' coax)...
- 'Doc

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
i wouldnt use mini-8 like you are, all kinds of bleed problems. they says its shielded but go with a quality 8u or 213 or lm400 and notice how much of the interference goes away. with your amps i think you wont see to much of an improvment though :D

with your amps i think you wont see to much of an improvment though
BS. :D I have been over 30 DB on the bowl with my 2 pill. And i know i can get out. Dont tell me i cant get out. ;) As in Bleeding, Um not a problem on this end but on the other channel it might be a problem! :LOL: PS W5 i have no dought about my setup. Just wanted to know if my coax will work. (Dont want to crawl up a tower thats only about 1'5 wide. If you know what im sayin ;)

ok simple....RG-213U doubble shielded coax with 2 PL259 teflon insulated connectors on it is all you need..
that coax handles 5000 peak watts...its all the coax you are ever going to need...:)
Good luck with your new 4-pill when you get it!!!!
Enjoy:):)

AM POWER

CDX197 said:
with your amps i think you wont see to much of an improvment though
BS. :D I have been over 30 DB on the bowl with my 2 pill. And i know i can get out. Dont tell me i cant get out. ;) As in Bleeding, Um not a problem on this end but on the other channel it might be a problem! :LOL: PS W5 i have no dought about my setup. Just wanted to know if my coax will work. (Dont want to crawl up a tower thats only about 1'5 wide. If you know what im sayin ;)

197...No one said you aint getting out...He just said you wont see much improvement over what you have now, by changing coax. In other word's, you will still hear about the same, as now, but by useing 213 or one of the other coax's mentioned, your signel may not interfear as much with TV's, or other electronic stuff, because it's better shield'ed.

As for "bleed-over", you dont know if your system is bleeding or not, unless someone close to you, tells you.

"Bleeding" is when your talkin say on channel 28, but folks on channels under 28, and above 28, can hear you, on the channels they are on....This is a comond problem, when useing Amplifiers. But by useing some of the better shield'ed coax's, you can cut-down on some of the bleed-over, caused by your equipment...And dont think your system doe'st bleed...all of them do, to some extent...

Now If it were me, and I was going to go through all the trouble of putting up a new tower...I would deffently use "New" coax...but thats me...Peace JJD

You could try 9913 or 9913 Flex. This will handle power, is a good quality rg8 type cable and has very low loss characteristics. I believe Times Microwave LMR 400 is a type of 9913 cable. It is good for about 3300 watts at 30 MHZ.

715. Were that come from? Thanks for the lecture JJD. Last night i had a bleed over from 38 to 40. I was on LSB and some people from Maine And Canada came over and told me i was bleeding over bad. But thanks for the info guys. Tell you what i do when it gets done! Ps jesse not trying to start anything at all. Thanks for the Info.

Hey CDX197,

Do your self a favor...
Get some LMR400 coax...

as far as the bleed over to other channels the coax will not change that at all..
the better coax will however greatly reduce the RFI you are likly causing to neighbors...

myself i am a bit of a nut...for i use Andrews Heliax LDF5 and LDF7-50A coax feedline (i use LMR400 to go from end of LDF5-50A to then got to 3 beams...the hardline is way too thick to use with rotors)..

also the better coax will likly help you maintain better coax (or rather not be killed by power that then can ruin your SWR's)..

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.