1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Coax

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by Tweetybird, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Active Member

Is some types of coax made with stranded wire?

2. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

yes.
    look for coaxial cables labeled "ultra flex" or just "flex". they will have a stranded center conductor.

for example, LMR400 and LMR240 have a solid center conductor, and their "UF" counterparts have a stranded center conductor.
    LC

3. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Active Member

My reason for asking is ,I was in a class for electrical and the instructor said stranded Carrie's more current than solid wire.

4. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

if it was in context of "electrical" as in home wiring , power distribution, ect... He would be incorrect. 10 ga is 10 ga , whether solid or stranded and has the same amp rating.

@ RF the added surface area in stranded does change the capability.

Tweetybird likes this.
  5. fourstringburn

fourstringburn W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM

Solid core conductor coax is slightly better spec wise but the trade off is lesser strength and durability compared to stranded.

Check specs on coax manufacturers like Times microwave that make both types to see the differences.

In the real world, you'll never notice.

Solid coax is ideal to use for running thru walls where you might need several permanent bends. Repeated bends can weaken if not damage the center conductor.

I use RG213 for the balance of a rigid like cable but still has a stranded center core for some moderate flexibility. I also use RG8 for flexible jumpers because RG213 is a bit stiff at short pieces.

Woody-202 and Tweetybird like this.
  6. RT431

RT431 In the swamp

I use 213 for my beam for flexibility over the rotator, then 9913 from there to the shack.