• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 1000 GTL Help

Rc123

Nov 27, 2020
I installed a variable deadkey in this cobra 1000. The radio was working good, but blew. I replaced the final and driver, but it’s like I have no adjustment on the variable deadkey. Highest it will go is 3 watts. Went to check the voltage on the final and driver and keyed up is 13.10 (my power supply is at 13.8), but when I modulate it will go to 12.3v on the drive and final. Any ideas?

Just recapped the radio and
No difference. It will key 4 watts with the variable wide open, and at 12 o’clock on the variable nothing. I would think it would key more than that. Does full output just can’t get no deadkey or should I said a smooth variable.

It will key 4 watts with the variable wide open, and at 12 o’clock on the variable nothing.
4 Watts is a normal max for that radio. Consider that turned full up, the carrier control still drops a little voltage from the driver. Good chance that the radio's stock hookup would show 4.5 or more. No way to avoid losing some carrier at the 'max' end of the variable control.

Seeing the carrier drop to zero with the control halfway down tells us that the resistance value of the control you're using is too high. Measure the control's resistance at the 12 o'clock position. A control that has a max resistance equal to that will perform more smoothly.

Reactions: BlackPearlRadio557

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.