• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 135 part

HighPlainsDrifter$

307 WYYOMING
Mar 12, 2021
Hi All
I'm obviously new around here, I don't normally spend much time with a computer but over the course of the past year I find myself on it more .... lack of work and boredom I guess. Anyway ... been going thru all the old gear cleaning and maintenance stuff (have gotten pretty familiar with Mouser lately) ... while removing the knobs from the 135 all went well till I got to the voice lock, evidently the knob and shaft had grown together sometime over the past 40 years ... when it finally let go I got the knob with the shaft still attached. What a drag. Have been looking, find alot of pots available but not sure if there is a direct replacement or maybe a superseded part number. Original part is 20K ohm # 008-177-9-001 R313. In the wealth of knowledge here maybe someone has one they would part with or can point me in the right direction. I have considered taking it apart and attempting repair but would like to have a replacement on hand before doing that.
Thanks for your ear

I will try to be a little help: We need to know the physical dimensions of the control

shaft length & diameter in mm. millimeters inches will work but mm is better
you already said it is a 20k

There is a possibility Kens Electronics would have something that would work remember even if the shaft is too long they can be cut but sometimes that will not work especially when it is a split shaft with push-on knobs.

http://www.kenselectronics.com/lists/pots.htm

Once you have the dimensions it is also possible that a control from another radio could work and it could be in any radio from the same time frame even it the control is being used for something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Ok, it might be a while my vernier is in the garage and saturday night we got hit with 2 feet over night and another foot over sunday and monday. I have a 4 foot drift holding the back door closed. Starting to warm a little, snows falling out of the trees and so are the branch's, only 2 roads open in the whole state. I will get to it at some point.
Thanks

Ok, it might be a while my vernier is in the garage and saturday night we got hit with 2 feet over night and another foot over sunday and monday. I have a 4 foot drift holding the back door closed. Starting to warm a little, snows falling out of the trees and so are the branch's, only 2 roads open in the whole state. I will get to it at some point.
Thanks
Well, you do what you can. Just trying to give some options good luck.

Last edited:
Well, you do what you can. Just trying to give some options good luck.

Well I busted my way thru the drifts to get to the garage, did my measuring, contacted Kens (easy to find by the way once you have a name to look for) and it sounds like the correct part will be delivered soon (if they clear the roads).
Thank you for the guidance it is very much appreciated.

For the sake of saying it.... I'm also looking for a physically nice Cobra 25 for my farmall, working or not. I'm willing to try fixing anything ... If anyone has one to part with reasonable let me know

For the sake of saying it.... I'm also looking for a physically nice Cobra 25 for my farmall, working or not. I'm willing to try fixing anything ... If anyone has one to part with reasonable let me know

You should probably let us know what you think is reasonable? Then no one will bother for units that exceed that amount by too much.

Reactions: HighPlainsDrifter$
That is a real good question .... at the risk of giving a vague answer I have to say more if new in the box and less if non working ...LOL. I don't know what may be offered up for sale but I would think about anything available. I don't have a problem telling someone I may think their price is high or saying sold if the deal seems right. It depends on the radio I guess.

I'm thinkin probably better here than ebay ... if you know what I mean

Last edited:
I have a China made 25LTD side mic (if my memory serves me). I am fairly certain it has no transmit audio, but I would have to double check that. I saw it the other day, but it has been some time since I hooked it up. It is in pretty decent shape overall.

Those size pots were used on many brands of older radios. 20K was used as the clarifier on most UNIDEN SSB radios (COBRA, PRESIDENT, REALISTIC, etc.) and also as the mike gain control. I have a bunch of them and would send you one, but since I live In Colombia SA the cost of shipping just about anything to the US costs at least $30. Maybe one of the folks on the forum could dig thru their junk boxes and help you out.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Those size pots were used on many brands of older radios. 20K was used as the clarifier on most UNIDEN SSB radios (COBRA, PRESIDENT, REALISTIC, etc.) and also as the mike gain control. I have a bunch of them and would send you one, but since I live In Colombia SA the cost of shipping just about anything to the US costs at least $30. Maybe one of the folks on the forum could dig thru their junk boxes and help you out.

Hey thanks ... found the part in question at Kens it should be here soon but you are right that one pot covers alot of ground, used by many.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.