• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142 gtl frequency counter

kaos513

Apr 10, 2014
Putnam county,NY
Hello guys need help installing aChinese frequency counter from eBay to my 142 gtl any help would be appreciated.
Model:

PLJ-8LED-H RF Signal Frequency Meter Counter Cymometer Tester Module 0.1~1000MHz​

Reactions: eric chilton

We've been using the six-digit PLJ-6LED version. They come with unshielded wires for both power and signal input.

You'll probably want to obtain a 7808T 3-terminal voltage regulator chip to power the counter from 8 Volts. Running it from the radio's main 13.8 Volts may overheat the counter's on-board regulator.

Tap off of the radio's test point TP1 for the counter's signal input. A 100 ohm resistor between TP1 and your counter input will prevent it from loading down the radio's internal signal level. If the signal lead isn't fairly short you may need to use shielded wire. The lower the capacitance per foot this wire has, the better.

I have no idea what's involved with setting a display offset. If it's the same as the 6-digit, no problem. Just haven't tried the 8-digit yet. Couldn't come up with a good reason.

Besides, putting them into an analog VFO would be a waste of the extra two digits, considering the way the frequency will drift.

6HBpuS.jpg

Last edited:
Kaos was indicating an 8 digit RF sampling frequency counter (.1-1000 MHz) rather than a PLL/VCO/VFO sampling one (with adder or subtractor circuit to show the radio's apparent frequency).

The above mentioned frequency counter has a PIC16F648A microcontroller, and if direct sampling the PLL/VCO frequency (34 MHz), would have to be reprogrammed to subtract the carrier offset (7.8 + or - 2.5 KHz for mode) from the VCO frequency to display 26/27 MHz.

And also, would need an enclosure to mount it in, or where to put the display?

Oops, I didn't read the fine print on this unit, it has programmable adjustable offset.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaos513
We've been using the six-digit PLJ-6LED version. They come with unshielded wires for both power and signal input.

You'll probably want to obtain a 7808T 3-terminal voltage regulator chip to power the counter from 8 Volts. Running it from the radio's main 13.8 Volts may overheat the counter's on-board regulator.

Tap off of the radio's test point TP1 for the counter's signal input. A 100 ohm resistor between TP1 and your counter input will prevent it from loading down the radio's internal signal level. If the signal lead isn't fairly short you may need to use shielded wire. The lower the capacitance per foot this wire has, the better.

I have no idea what's involved with setting a display offset. If it's the same as the 6-digit, no problem. Just haven't tried the 8-digit yet. Couldn't come up with a good reason.

Besides, putting them into an analog VFO would be a waste of the extra two digits, considering the way the frequency will drift.

6HBpuS.jpg

Thanks will try it tonight

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated