• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142 gtl issue

jimmy360

Oct 29, 2021
Hello guys I acquired another 142gtl this time it’s not d1 & d2 radio has been recapped also i follow the alignment procedure and seems L8 & L9 have to raise the cores all the way up to get my recieve but still not there any help would be great .

if you raised those core beyond the top, then theres another issue..I would check the relay first..

That model doesn't contain a relay.

When you say "raise the cores all the way up" do you mean that the top of the tuning slug is DEAD EVEN with the rim of the hole in the can?

If so, I can offer a suggestion.

Looks a little like this.

s4f0Pp.jpg

The solder pads under L8 and L9 reveal that one side of each coil has two pins. The opposite side of each has three pins. Take a 30pf (approx) trimmer cap and solder the two leads to the outer two pads of the three-pad side of each coil.

Set the slug in the coil two or three turns clockwise from that "even with the rim" position and then try to peak the trimmer cap for each coil. There's some back-and-forth that may be needed. If the trimmer cap is going all the way to either max or minimum setting, the coil position gets tweaked to bring the cap to a position between those extremes.

Not a very complete procedure, but your other choice is to replace L8 and L9.

Unless there are additional faults in the receiver section, this should restore the receiver's sensitivity.

Rock on! Good to hear you worked it out. I have learned never to throw away a bad "can" without first removing the tuning slug. It gets marked with the frequency of the circuit that used it and stashed for a rainy day.

A cracked tuning slug definitely rains on my parade.

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.