• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142 GTL, lots of issues

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
It is really quiet on AM...

I am pretty sure I am not picking anything up...

can not be sure but I almost thing I might be locked on the same channel or even no channel at all

as far as the meter can tell it is transmiting

also I hear occasional odd sounds squeals and maybe beeps? LSB and USB seem to be louder...

the odd thing is last week I was able to get a few people to talk back... so it can send and receive...

Try switching back to the old chan sel if it make any difference. The radio that came from was not working when I got it. But like you mentioned, its working just no audio... Maybe Doc or someone else can chime in.

Aloha, 1-5

Try switching back to the old chan sel if it make any difference. The radio that came from was not working when I got it. But like you mentioned, its working just no audio... Maybe Doc or someone else can chime in.

Aloha, 1-5

it did this before the channel selector... some how I thought maybe the channel select was part of the issue... oh well... either way at least it shows proper channels now :)

this may sounds odd but are you sure your antenna connection is functioning? sounds like you may have hit an extremely close contact off you coax reception or some thing. just a shot in the dark.

edit if its only happening on AM then my idea is moot.

ok ok ok

it does send a receive with out a doubt...

however the receive can be loud from time to time on channel 7

I can be heard by my buddy a few blocks out BUT he says I sound like I am 200 miles away

everything I can hear is REALLY quiet

weird thing is when I transmit the meter keys up and swings when I talk...

ideas?

Could it be the finals? But you saying its keying and swinging, it couldnʻt be the finals. Mic gain?

As for the RX, check your RF gain pot might be dirty. Try touching both ends or the RF gain pot if that changes anything. I just soldered both contacts to my RF gain so its on full RF. My Uniden Grant was acting up, RX would go out and then when I hit a bump, would come loud again.

thats a good idea since I am getting random good receive...

It putting out like 10-12 dead key and swings 20 something...

the unit is converted from 5 to 4 pin mic... but that would not cause this

I am going to try to heat the room up and see if that helps... maybe I should just reflow all the solder joints on the board

I was wondering... what would it sound like if it was right in between 2 channels?

I mean weird sounding right?

I don't know... but if I was transmitting between channels it would be hard to hear me I would think, and likewise it would be hard for me to hear other people...

I don;t know... what do you guys think?

My first guess was going to be a shorted capacitor in the RF track, however, if the radio has output this would not be the case. It is possible that the radio is off frequency by a few KCs

My first guess was going to be a shorted capacitor in the RF track, however, if the radio has output this would not be the case. It is possible that the radio is off frequency by a few KCs

that's all I can think of... it would have to be way off... I can barely hear anyone, and they can barely hear me... even the guy that lives a couple blocks away...

but other times it sends and receives perfect... (rarely)

ok got a freak counter on in... interesting results...

some how the radio is stuck up high... channel 1 is 27.595 on up to 40 which is 28.035 (or there abouts...)

weird thing is as soon as you hit 28mhz I start hearing weird noises from the speaker... what/who uses the 28MHz band?

so I don't think this is what I thought it is... I am really confused now...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.