• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142gtl no audio on AM transmit but yes on SSB transmit

Jan 18, 2017
Central KY
I have a Cobra 142gtl with no audio on AM transmit but it does have audio on SSB transmit. My guess is I overdrove the Darlington pair direct injecting it years ago maybe? Would that take away my audio on SSB, too, though? just trying to think what I fried. Any help would be appreciated.

If you've got an oscilloscope or have a buddy who does you can use a cellphone app to create a tone that you feed into the microphone, then key the radio and use the scope to find where the audio signal disappears. Someone here recommended "f Generator", it works. Helps to have a schematic too. OK, it helps me when I have one, your mileage may vary.

Also, the reason SSB transmit audio still works is that it takes a different path after C83, and doesn't go through the AM modulation circuit.

If it still has the original caps in it that were installed at the factory, take Nomad's advice to heart. Bad caps can do a variety of nasty things.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.