• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 146gtl channel mod

bigred222

Key Up City Radio
Aug 28, 2006
Stamford, CT
www.cbjunk.com

Unfortunately, because the PLL isn't able to be modified, you only have 3 options, the chipswitch mod that you linked to on CBtricks, the Expo kit, and the Galaxy "N" kit, which is close to the same thing as the Expo kit. The Galaxy "N" kit is the most desirable of the 3 options, but like the Expo kits, they are tough to find. Keep looking for one, they pop up on Ebay once in a while.

~Cheers~

It's common in all the Cobra 29 40 channel radios, like the 29 LTD Classic. If you have a parts Cobra 29 LTD Classic laying around, it should have a D2816 PLL in it.

~Cheers~

does anyone have an alternative to the modification for channels

We've got some of the old (mid 90's to mid 2000's era) replacement PLLs for the upD2824 SSB radios, any idea what these are worth (if anything these days)? We got them when we bought a bunch of gear from a CB shop that went broke.

They look new (unsoldered) except for one that was temporarily put in a radio to see if it worked, which it did. Details of them:

Expander for the popular upD2824 radios

Suits Cobra 146, Realistic TRC451, DSE Hornet 2, Uniden PC122 and AX144 etc

Internal fit - undetectable when radio is turned off

Gives 26.605 to 28.205 in 5 Khz steps with no gaps or skips

When switched off, radio functions as a standard 40 channel unit

Technician installation highly recommended

Their words in purple above, not mine.

I looked at the instructions but it was too technical for me and I don't have a scope or frequency counter, so I left them in their packaging.

If interested I can put them on eBay or the trade page here with some pics, and a copy of the install instruction sheet to see if its too hard for you or not to fit.

Loz

hpssb it sounds like a channel kit you have. will you post it to see what you have. I have a couple radios I would like to add the channels to.

Pictures below, not sure how to add them but here goes nothing.

Fitting it looks complicated but should be easy for a technician i think.
I tried to get specs into the pictures from the instruction sheet.

Sorry about the average pictures quality, these were done with my Samsung phone as i dont have a proper digital camera.

Loz

Attachments

• IMAG0031.jpg
    IMAG0031.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0034.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0035.jpg
    IMAG0035.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 32
thanks for posting this. I have never seen this kit before. can not believe it says you need 6 switches to get all the channels. my little uniden pc122 case is not big enough for that many switches. I have done other expo kits but never one like these. hard to believe all the wires. sure glad you posted this for us to look at.

Seen a Pro810 base with full coverage using one of those boards that used just 2 switches, a rotary (like the usb/lsb switch) in place of the RF gain control for selecting the banks of 40 channels, and the channel 9 switch for 5K / 10K shifter. It can be done with less switches than stated if the tech knows their stuff (the 810 was done by a well known 4'6" one in new south wales, oops thats given it away to the locals :blink:

There were a lot of those kits around here down under about 10 years ago, i wouldn't have thought too many would have made it to europe and the USA.

It almost looks something similar to a "Digi-scan" module without the frequency counter portion.

I am also very interested in these kits you have, if you come up with a figure of what you want for a few, please let me know. Thanks!!

(Edit) Sonoma, I don't see why a person couldn't find a way to possibly use a 6 position rotary switch with some 1N914/1N4148 switching diodes to make it work for full coverage. :)

~Cheers~

exit Thirteen I have a few 6 and 3 position switches and was thinking about how I could set one up to put one in the pc122. I have 2 trc453 ans one pc122 I use for my own radios. I was thinking about this also as far as getting a couple if the price is right .looks as if the boards are about 3x4 in size. might be able to mount it in an external box for room since the ones I have in mind are so small of a radio.. may have to pull the speaker to put it inside the little radios, not sure how well they would fit.

Unfortunately, because the PLL isn't able to be modified, you only have 3 options, the chipswitch mod that you linked to on CBtricks, the Expo kit, and the Galaxy "N" kit, which is close to the same thing as the Expo kit. The Galaxy "N" kit is the most desirable of the 3 options, but like the Expo kits, they are tough to find. Keep looking for one, they pop up on Ebay once in a while.

~Cheers~

Negative on the Expo 100 kit.....they were prone to cause the Uniden 244, President AX-144, and Cobra 146s to lock up when going through the channels.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.