• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 GTL Clarifier Unlock Question

Probate

Feb 28, 2021
Hi All,

I know i posted this question before but I really haven't seen a response to what I was looking for. Years ago I had a great tech unlock my clarifier with just a minimal amount of slide each way (less than a half channel). I prefer this because I talk on SSB all the time and easier to tune it in, just my preference. Does anyone know of a mod for this chassis that would achieve this?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

TY

remove D52.

Using a multimeter set to read continuity, with the radio off, put one lead on pin 6 of the MB3756 voltage regulator, and the other lead on either one of the outer lugs of the clarifier pot.
when you find the one that shows continuity to pin 6, follow it's wire to where it enters the PC board (probably right in front of R44).
pull this wire from that spot and solder it to pin 1 of the MB3756 voltage regulator.

now using a known accurate frequency counter connected to TP1, adjust L22, L23, and CT2 for the proper frequencies according to the service manual.

that's it!
LC

remove D52.

Using a multimeter set to read continuity, with the radio off, put one lead on pin 6 of the MB3756 voltage regulator, and the other lead on either one of the outer lugs of the clarifier pot.
when you find the one that shows continuity to pin 6, follow it's wire to where it enters the PC board (probably right in front of R44).
pull this wire from that spot and solder it to pin 1 of the MB3756 voltage regulator.

now using a known accurate frequency counter connected to TP1, adjust L22, L23, and CT2 for the proper frequencies according to the service manual.

that's it!
LC

Thanks for the post, worked great!!!

Have a great night!

Since you're on a roll, is there a mosfet conversion for a cobra 148 gtl out there that you recommend?

Regards
For me personally, I wouldn't do it unless the final takes a dump on you. If you want more power, just run the radio with an amp. A 148 is great for a 2 pill or a 5 pill.

For me personally, I wouldn't do it unless the final takes a dump on you. If you want more power, just run the radio with an amp. A 148 is great for a 2 pill or a 5 pill.
final is bad, just want to try it, I have a few of them

Reactions: 999
here ya go:

For the record i have not done these mods myself, but i can vouch for Exit13's knowledge and experience.
he is a very talented technician.

be sure to read through the whole thread in case there are updates or typos that have been addressed.
LC

Reactions: Probate
here ya go:

For the record i have not done these mods myself, but i can vouch for Exit13's knowledge and experience.

be sure to read through the whole thread in case there are updates or typos that have been addressed.
LC
Thanks Again for the quick reply

here ya go:

LC
i noticed these transistors are hard to come by, any other alternatives or resources?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.