• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 GTL & Galaxy 250 amp

right now I have a Cobra 148 GTL hooked up to a Wilson 1000 Ant. in my Truck(yes TRUCK,truck) 8) . not to long ago I had a Friend of mine @ work introduce me to a fellow in the chicago area; goes by the handle SCREAMING EAGLE or 108; who got to work on my radio. {FLASHBACK} I had listen to his radio; Also a 148 GTL set up with what looked like a Wilson 1000 & an extra punch added to it(if u know what i mean ;) . His radio sounded great even from 15-17 miles out. {FLASHFORWARD} So I figured he new what he was doing. After everything was said & done my radio now sounds clear as a whistle & swings from what he told me up to 40watts :D . Just a couple of days ago I spotted a GALAXY 250 going for $80.00 on this forum. Had to jump on it :D :D :D

Now Here's the questions I have:
1) I keep seeing in other discussions that in order for this to work I have to have a max DK of 1/2 sometimes 3/4WATTs; But how can I test to see if I'm DKing that amount? :?: I know that on my built in SWR meter I'm begging it @ about the + sign near the +30db.
2) Am I interpreting it Right (DK means Pressing my mike button with the switch set to S/RF and not creating any modulation AKA talking into mike?
3) and most important; If my DK WATTS are to HIGH/LOW how & what must I do to turn it UP/Down.

I just Pray I did not shoot myself in the foot by buying that AMP. :cry:

take your time on this from the get go , you might even contact the guy who worked on your 148 and see what he thinks about it , never heard of a 148 doing 40 watts but why not . Chances are the radio will need to be tuned down to match the amplifers out put correctly. Either get ahold of him or take the radio and amp into a reputable cb shop and they will match the two together as they should be , you didn't shoot yourself in the foot here , Fred's a good guy and IM very sure he sold you a good amp which will also work very well on SSB. You will need some good multi-stranded 10 gage pos/neg wires from your battery to the amp. Just take your time and ask all the questions you need to , your own your way. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.