• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 GTL Malaysia.. side mic?? Should I buy?

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Should I buy?? It's under $120.. looks unmolested.. has side mic.. and has black power jack on back (not white molex).. if that matters..

I was entertaining Galaxy DX-949.. but the 148 is considered a holy grail of sorts..

This would be used for a base radio with an A99..

Thoughts??

My only fear would be a recap?? I don't know if that's even needed. Seller sells works fine, transmits and receives..

Screenshot_20180813-094419~2.png

That and the Uniden grant we're 2 radios sought after back then, they both sounded great on SSB.. That one you've posted looks really nice, and being as old as it is a recap would be recommended.. but if it's working well then there's always time for that (recap).. Price seems pretty reasonable.. and the Galaxy. Well if your intending to use on SSB, then the 148 GTL is the way to go.. there's another name for the Galaxy radios drift o matics..... 73

I emailed DTB in PA about it. He said peak/tune and a PLL alignment was $60.. so if I need that, at least that's reasonable IMO.. that at least would get me SSB frequency checked and peaked and tuned..

I emailed DTB in PA about it. He said peak/tune and a PLL alignment was $60.. so if I need that, at least that's reasonable IMO.. that at least would get me SSB frequency checked and peaked and tuned..
That's always and option.. I'd get it first and see what you have .. it might or might not need anything done to it... If it works as good as it looks, run with it.. JMOI of course..

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
Malaysia?

Not Uniden. RCI owns the factory where this one was made. They were the contract provider in the mid-90s.

A Uniden 148 will say made in Taiwan or the Philippines.

The RCI Malaysia factory did a decent job building those radios, but they're not Uniden.

If it,s as nice as it look,s it,s a good deal. I ran 1 for 2 years with an A 99 and had very good luck, side band on that radio is as good as any.COBRA 148 GTL are #1 in my book way over a GALAXY I no as I said I had one and I have a GALAXY 959 DX now it,s OK but not as good. I also have a OPTIMA MK3 I USE ALL THE TIME I THINK THE COBRA IS AS GOOD ON SSB NOT AS MUCH POWER IS ALL.

Ok nice! But as said earlier - if it's Malaysian made, may be a "transition" radio - RCI had issues with the MB8719 clone variant when they took over - so sourcing issues were a problem back then.

The fixes were pretty easy, you just needed a side-by-side of a Philippines model to correct power routings and fix L9 ferrite bead and 100 ohm resistor - just remove the resistor and install 10 ohm 1/2W on the L9 bead - you're done.

L9/100 ohm resistor was the power feed to the PLL - starved it for current so even normal operation it could become unstable and just quit locking in - you'd see it in the TX light - it would go out on peaks in SSB and Hi-SWR it wouldn't turn on the ANT warn light - it'd just "stutter".

Fixing L9 back to factory Philippines-style recovered it...Pretty much back to stock - stock, as in STOCK, not "Hey! I can go everywhere my old 148 did" - coil and cap changes too - again sourcing. At least you can make some quick fixes to keep SSB from "warbling". It'd just couldn't take you where no-mans' gone before...

You'll be fine - keep it unmolested - you'll be fine.

Reactions: Dmans
Thanks all. Shipped already.. should be here soon. Will test in my truck as it has a simple 5' Firestik II and almost nil SWR.

I may turn down the dk to 1.5 or so for my ''kicker' that's a simple 1 pill..

Having the mounting knobs and bracket included speaks a lot about the care the original owner took. Those details are missing with over half the CB sellers on Ebay. It would have cost you an additional $15 to replace them. Also, the case screws look fresh (rust free) with no noticeable marks that are typically made with a wrong sized screwdriver. Big plus! There's a fair chance that one has never been opened.

Great little radios.I own two side microphone models & have owned many others over the years.Only 40 channel SSB mobile I liked better is my TRAM D64 & it has a far quieter receiver over any CB radio I have ever owned or operated.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: 357magnum and CB590
I may turn down the dk to 1.5 or so for my ''kicker' that's a simple 1 pill..
Well there goes the good sound on SSB. A single pill amp will be a class "C" and they usually sound bad on SSB. You would do better with a KL-203, forget the "P" model amp it is a waste of money.
Or a better add on is the RFX amps if the still make them.

Well there goes the good sound on SSB. A single pill amp will be a class "C" and they usually sound bad on SSB. You would do better with a KL-203, forget the "P" model amp it is a waste of money.
Or a better add on is the RFX amps if the still make them.

Actually testing would be with the KL203 (non P) as I own one already.. I was thinking Texas Star down the line..

Reactions: Tallman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.