• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 GTL no output

Unit 75

"TRAINMAN"
Jul 29, 2014
Central Alabama
I purchased a Cobra 148 GTL made in Malaysia. The radio did not transmit. I re-capped the radio (all electrolytics) and still no tx. The rx/tx LEDs work when you key the mic. PA has output. The synthesizer has the correct frequencies and will align. PLL has correct voltages. L20 has been peaked. MB3756 has correct voltages on all pins. IC5 has correct voltages. TR39 has correct voltages. Driver and final are good and I have 13vdc on collectors dropping to 6.7vdc on AM tx. I have 13vdc on bias wires. D49 and D50 are good. When I hook my DC milliamp meter to set the bias (VR9 and VR8) ....I have nothing. I checked the variable resistors (VR9 and VR8 and they are good) L42 and L39 are good, no high resistances.
I then replaced all the ceramic caps in the RF section...still nothing. I did a follow thru to check for any cold solder joints etc...all is good. So why isn't this radio transmitting??? I'm pulling my hair out...lol.

Last edited:

I have my 13vdc at the mode switch. The model number of the board is EPT041810Z. As mentioned above, the oscillator section is functional. I have all frequencies and L23, (34.765MHz) L22, (34.76350MHz) L59 (34.76650MHz)are all adjusted with correct frequencies... PLL is good. PA mode works great with good strong audio. Oscillator section is fine. All voltages on MB3756 (regulator) are correct. IC5 (SO42P) mixer has correct voltages and is mixing the local frequency generated by the PLL (local oscillator) and carrier oscillator. L46 (27MHz) and L45 (27MHz) look good on the scope. TR39 (buffer pre-driver) has 0vdc on base in rx mode and .70vdc in tx mode. 0vdc on the emitter (ground) , 13.26vdc on collector in rx mode with 5.5vdc in tx AM mode and 13.6vdc in tx SSB mode. Thanks

Last edited:
OMG! pushing on the PC board, while adjusting the driver bias, I found that I have a intermittent contact. I now have bias control via VR8. (hair line crack on trace) Had to get my magnifing glass out. Still no RF out..but should be an easy fix now. Will update findings after I troubleshoot some more. Thanks for your input, kaos513 :)

Did you check signal path from final to antenna connector? Check if RF is present at finals, if yes, check the path to antenna connector, starting with coils in that path. I have seen several times the first coil after final transistor open. Check it.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.