• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COBRA 148 GTL Review

CB World Informer December 1996 Issue, Midland 79-290 Review.

Excerpt from that page:
The following will unlock and keep the standard clarifier range:
Remove D58
Follow the wire (white or green) from R44 and remove the other end from the PC board and connect it constant +8 volts (IC4 pin 3).

I like this method because it keeps VR5 active so that the TX frequency can be adjusted. Pulling D52 - as the other mod on this thread suggests - makes VR5 inactive. And if the radio is off TX freq - probably - you are in a world of hurt. You need VR5 if you want the radio to be dialed in with your frequency counter for alignment purposes.

I use the method - on that page/link I provided - that does't extend the slide range - and doesn't clip D52.
As it also makes it much easier to clarify since it will slide only ~2kc's either way.

First, lift just one leg of D58 off of the board; it is near the squelch VR near the front of the radio.

Next, there will be a wire near R44 - that also goes to a point near that squelch VR.

Lastly, unsolder that same wire - from the point near that squelch VR - and route it to C84 "+" side (IC4 pin 3).
OR to the "+" side of the 8v regulator - either way is fine.
That should check on your voltmeter as being +8v from the voltage regulator.
CHECK IT FIRST!
This source gets solid +8v in TX and RX; that is necessary.
Then, center the clarifier knob and then re-align the VCO.
Done.
(not responsible for work done wrong)

I've gotten a couple of used 148's and GrantXL's that had the 'D52 clipped'/method from locals or a hamfest that needed their radios aligned. I then reversed their work and did it by the method above. It aligns correctly when VR5 is working as it should.

I did unlock this reviewed Cobra 148GTL - BTW.
I also aligned it and put in four Shottky 1N6263 diodes (D1, D2, D21, D22) and two Sanyo 2sc2999e's (one for AM and the other for SSB - TR14 and TR19).
This radio could NOT have been aligned as I requested for this review. It was waaay off, even before unlocking the clarifier. The net result after a full alignment was favorable; it really got great reports. Got 4-12 PEP on AM and almost 17 watts PEP on SSB.

Here is another thing that can be done for the 148 - that I have not seen anywhere on the 'net . . .

The first step in aligning the Cobra 148/GrantXL is to check pin 8 on the PLL chip for 10.240000mhz +/- 20hz. Chances are, it will be off - even if it is new. What to do? Remove C85/10pf next to the 10.240mhz crystal, and install a 3-18pf variable capacitor. Either on top of the board or underneath the board - whichever is easiest and more convenient for you to do. Now you can adjust pin 8 of the PLL to exactly 10.240000mhz +/- 20hz! Also works on the 142 and probably other Cobra radios that use the 8719 PLL chip. Works great. Either you get a new 10.240mhz crystal for ~$6; or you can spend $.40 for an adjustable capacitor. Even new crystals aren't exact - BTW. So it is worth the time and effort for this simple and cheap mod. I've done it to all of my 148's and XL's . . .

Last edited:
Hi Rob, Thanks for the response, I thought that because my radio was the China made one that the mods that I did find, would not work. I will keep you posted as to how I make out with this mod, Again, thanks Rob. 73.
Dave

Copper Talk: COBRA 148 NW ST CLARIFIER MOD NEEDED.
This is how the Cobra 148 GTL "NightWatch/SoundTracker" clarifier mod is done.
I wouldn't change the resistor values or cut any resistors as it suggests.
I also wouldn't clip D52 as it suggests either, as I stated above in order to keep VR5 working and tunable.

Changing the resistors as the mod suggests makes the radio clarifier center around the 3 o'clock position and has a wild slide.
Instead of the 12 o'clock calrifier position with only a mild slide by keeping the resistors intact - and lifting/clipping D58 - instead of D52.

Last edited:
Hi Rob, I did the mod, and when I was done, I keyed the mic and nothing happened, so I undid the mod, keyed the mic and again nothing happened. So I looked at the radio only to find that the red wire in the mic connector was broken off, so I re did the mod, did the alignment, and all works well. Just thought that you might get a laugh about this one, LOL. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it, 73 for now.
Dave

Eating 'Crow' . . .

In my first post of this review for the Cobra 148 GTL, I said that it wasn't up to the competition of other SSB radios in its class. After careful re-alignment of the radio and re-considering this situation, I would have to say that it is just as competative than the other radios in its class.

Maybe moreso; as it is far more stable on SSB than a Galaxy 959 or a Ranger TR-696 Freedom 1. At least, the 148 GTL non-NW/ST version has proven to be quite stable. The NW/ST version is another can of worms. But this 148 GTL after alignment, receive mod, and clarifier unlock has become a very satisfactory radio. I would recommend it.

Seems that a couple of locals want to buy it from me; but I have resisted because it is a keeper. Unlocking the clarifier and completely re-aligning made all of the difference - IMO.

If it sounds like I am eating some crow about my previous conclusions, you would be right . . .

Eating Crow . . . . It's whats for dinner . . .

Attachments

• Eating crow.jpg
    Eating crow.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
In my first post of this review for the Cobra 148 GTL, I said that it wasn't up to the competition of other SSB radios in its class. After careful re-alignment of the radio and re-considering this situation, I would have to say that it is just as competative than the other radios in its class.

Maybe moreso; as it far more stable on SSB than a Galaxy 959 or a Ranger TR-696 Freedom 1. At least, the 148 GTL non-NW/ST version has proven to be quite stable. The NW/ST version is another separate can of worms. But this 148 GTL after alignment, receive mod, and clarifier unlock has become a very satisfactory radio. I would recommend it.

Seems that a couple of locals want to buy it from me; but I have resisted because it is a keeper. Unlocking the clarifier and completely re-aligning made all of the difference - IMO.

If it sounds like I am eating some crow about my previous conclusions, you would be right . . .

You'll need salt with that. I know...I've had it a few times. I have two 148 GTL's and they are a good solid CB radio.

I have one, had it set up for a linear 5 years ago when I was still driving truck at a cb shop in Mo. Havent really used it, since I had a different one for the truck, but thinking of digging her out again. Need to have the alignment, etc checked, make sure its on, and the last guy didnt hack her too bad.

Tried to pull a fast one!

I am glad to hear the "bad" news on the new 148 for me personally. I just got back into C.B. two months ago and with out checking whats going on these days I bought on eBay a new Cobra 148GTL for a total of $70.00 with the front mic jack etc.as the photo showed, this was the new version of the radio I used back in the eighties for my base and it had made an impression on me that lasted to this day. Well when the package arrived I was surprised that they were still using the same Cobra box "orange & white"exactly like I had remembered mine back in the late eighties. Well I soon realized that this was not new but was from around 1990 still in the box and for some reason I was disappointed and felt swindled and contacted the sellers who were trying to pull a fast one by using eBay's stock photo and the specs. on the new 148. What had gotten my attention immediately was the side mount mic and there eBay photo of a front mount mic anyway they had a "no return" policy well needless to say after I got done with them they not only were going to refund my money but also my shipping. Just for the hell of it I hooked it up and soon couldn't part with it and I have since found out I am better off with what I have. Whats funny about what the eBay sellers did in there trying to pull a fast one is if they would have been honest in there advertising they would have gotten twice the amount than what I paid.

Maybe moreso; as it is far more stable on SSB than a Galaxy 959 or a Ranger TR-696 Freedom 1. At least, the 148 GTL non-NW/ST version has proven to be quite stable. The NW/ST version is another can of worms. But this 148 GTL after alignment, receive mod, and clarifier unlock has become a very satisfactory radio. I would recommend it.

CB World Informer December 1996 Issue, Midland 79-290 Review.

Excerpt from that page:
The following will unlock and keep the standard clarifier range:
Remove D58
Follow the wire (white or green) from R44 and remove the other end from the PC board and connect it constant +8 volts (IC4 pin 3).

I like this method because it keeps VR5 active so that the TX frequency can be adjusted. Pulling D52 - as the other mod on this thread suggests - makes VR5 inactive. And if the radio is off TX freq - probably - you are in a world of hurt. You need VR5 if you want the radio to be dialed in with your frequency counter for alignment purposes.

I use the method - on that page/link I provided - that does't extend the slide range - and doesn't clip D52.
As it also makes it much easier to clarify since it will slide only ~2kc's either way.

First, lift just one leg of D58 off of the board; it is near the squelch VR near the front of the radio.

Next, there will be a wire near R44 - that also goes to a point near that squelch VR.

Lastly, unsolder that same wire - from the point near that squelch VR - and route it to C84 "+" side (IC4 pin 3).
OR to the "+" side of the 8v regulator - either way is fine.
That should check on your voltmeter as being +8v from the voltage regulator.
CHECK IT FIRST!
This source gets solid +8v in TX and RX; that is necessary.
Then, center the clarifier knob and then re-align the VCO.
Done.
(not responsible for work done wrong)

I've gotten a couple of used 148's and GrantXL's that had the 'D52 clipped'/method from locals or a hamfest that needed their radios aligned. I then reversed their work and did it by the method above. It aligns correctly when VR5 is working as it should.

I did unlock this reviewed Cobra 148GTL - BTW.
I also aligned it and put in four Shottky 1N6263 diodes (D1, D2, D21, D22) and two Sanyo 2sc2999e's (one for AM and the other for SSB - TR14 and TR19).
This radio could NOT have been aligned as I requested for this review. It was waaay off, even before unlocking the clarifier. The net result after a full alignment was favorable; it really got great reports. Got 4-12 PEP on AM and almost 17 watts PEP on SSB.

Here is another thing that can be done for the 148 - that I have not seen anywhere on the 'net . . .

The first step in aligning the Cobra 148/GrantXL is to check pin 8 on the PLL chip for 10.240000mhz +/- 20hz. Chances are, it will be off - even if it is new. What to do? Remove C85/10pf next to the 10.240mhz crystal, and install a 3-18pf variable capacitor. Either on top of the board or underneath the board - whichever is easiest and more convenient for you to do. Now you can adjust pin 8 of the PLL to exactly 10.240000mhz +/- 20hz! Also works on the 142 and probably other Cobra radios that use the 8719 PLL chip. Works great. Either you get a new 10.240mhz crystal for ~$6; or you can spend $.40 for an adjustable capacitor. Even new crystals aren't exact - BTW. So it is worth the time and effort for this simple and cheap mod. I've done it to all of my 148's and XL's . . .

Robb,

Thanks for taking the time to do this review and to follow up with these modifications. I will be trying this myself on a 148 and if it works well will probably do it again for a friend who is just getting into radio.

No doubt because it does sound like a situation where "they don't make em like they used to." At least it sounds like now, if you don't have one of the old good ones, there is at least a path to get close.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.