• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 Malaysia 1996.. for parts

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Just got off EB for $125 was working in pics.. only issue noticed before install was SO-239 was not tight. Checked inside and was wired up fine..

Gently screwed on PL-259 this morning to a 1:1 antenna and used there short power cord.. got smoke..

Don't have funds to send out to get checked or fixed.. have new 8 month old baby..

Very mad.. selling for $30 and $15 shipping..

As-Is/Parts only.. here's the before pics of it..

Screenshot_20180813-145159.png Screenshot_20180813-145138.png Screenshot_20180813-145134.png Screenshot_20180813-145146.png

Tough break on the radio:mad:...I don't want to seem a pain (really I don't) but have you fired up the 757GX yet? You may already have a 100 watt PEP rig that will work on all the bands you want.
Those were easily modified and sounded pretty good in their day both AM/SSB!
Glad to see your moving forward on the antenna farm...and glad you got a refund!!!(y)
Hope to hear you on the air soon.
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: CB590 and Riverman
Glad it worked out for you, K3.

You might want to consider a new Uniden 980. They get great reviews and a lot of guys run them as their base. Amazon has them right now for only $113 with free shipping.

Going to try my McKinley from my truck on the A99 first.. I am familiar with that.. if it works I may save a tiny bit more and grab another down the line.

Reactions: Riverman
I,m glad also for you it,s just tobad the cobra, but if you have the 757GX all is not lost.Thay were an easily mod ,I no a guy that runs one on 11 meters all the timeit works just fine for him.If you do the mod good luck to you with it.

I would first check where that smoke came from. Did you have a 3 amp fuse in-line? I rather have smoke as a symptom than some intermittent problem. Smoke usually directs you to the source such as a burnt resistor, toasted diode or print. More often than not, a smoke issue is easily repaired.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.