• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 Philippines alignment problem

Mesa

Sep 8, 2011
I just purchased a 1991 148 GTL. TR24 had been cut so I restored it. It would drop of in power when transmiting on ssb, so I replaced as many caps as I had a match for, which ended up being 9. It fired up and transmited at full power, but I can't get it aligned. When I align the tx freq, rx changes. When I align rx freq, the tx will fall back out. The clarifier is not unlocked. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jason

I just purchased a 1991 148 GTL. TR24 had been cut so I restored it. It would drop of in power when transmiting on ssb, so I replaced as many caps as I had a match for, which ended up being 9. It fired up and transmited at full power, but I can't get it aligned. When I align the tx freq, rx changes. When I align rx freq, the tx will fall back out. The clarifier is not unlocked. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jason

You need a frequency counter to made the aligments :unsure:

I finished replacing the filter caps today and the problem is gone. I guess it had just been sitting too long without being used and more than one cap had failed. It stays right where I put it now. I should have finished what I started before I posted. I used a music mixing program on my computer as a tone generator and it held the signal perfectly while I aligned it.

I used a music mixing program on my computer as a tone generator and it held the signal perfectly while I aligned it.

that would explain why tx is out from rx, if you use a tone to align the frequencies on tx the end frequency willbe the rx frequency (you didn't use a tone on) plus or minus (depending on which sideband) the tone frequency you used, the higher the tone frequency the more the alignment will be out.

a tone generator is used for setting ssb power and audio levels, not frequency alignment, if your using a tone generator to align frequency it suggets your using an inline counter, probably with insufficient digits/accuracy for the job, you should be using a high quality counter with a probe , preferably with 8 digits on the internal oscillators to align frequency.

I apologize for being able to repair my own radio and for not being a ham. I guess I just got lucky. I'm sure that infuriates you. An "I'm surpised you were able to get it working by using that method" would have sufficed. All them thar little pills and such sure was confusin but the duck tape made it modulate better. Glad I saved some for mountin my antron on the single wide. I gotta go, the NASCAR race is on the last two laps! I gotta git me one them thar BS meters. I had a jack ass/prick combo detector but you just blew the receive out of it!

Last edited:
COBRA 148 GTL

Cant please everyone.GUYS. 73s. RAY 713 COATHANGER N.E P.A. A LITTLE COAL TOWN.:bdh::thumbdown:

I must have misinterpreted the BS meter that was attached to his comment which was directed at me. Silly me for thinking that someone telling me that I was full of sh-- was rude. I guess I am the rude one for not knowing that being told that you are full of it is considered proper etiquette. Is that the way it works here? What is usually considered in poor taste ie..(BS METER) is "helpful" and if happy faced emoticons are used I would then assume that I am being insulted. As long as I know that being insulted equals helpfulness I won't be offended again. Thank you, for letting me know that if I would have received advice with a smiley face it would have been an insult.

COBRA 148 GTL

Sir dont take anything to heart here.You got A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS HERE.Some will go out of there way to help ya,i know they did it for me endless times.I found some GREAT INFO. HERE. ONE THING FOR SURE THEY DONT TURN THERE BACK ON YA.73s. RAY 713 COATHANGER N.E. P.A. A LITTLE COAL TOWN.(y)

Glad you got your radio fixed. The Cobra 148 is a nice radio.
BUT, I am having trouble finding anywhere in Jazzsinger's post where he
tells you that you are full of SH*T. It appears "to me" that he was simply
stating the proper way to align a SSB radio.
Nothing wrong with that, that I can see. I would much rather be pointed
in the right direction than to be left in the dark and later having problems
because I did not learn the proper procedure for a particular repair etc.
I have done lots of repairs that worked, but, may or may not have been done
the right way. And several times, when trying to use the same method for repair,
it failed the second time. Leaving me to wonder why the same thing didn't work
twice. Once I found out that I was just lucky the first time, and learned the proper
way, and the results were repeatable, then I was glad someone helped me by pointing
out errors I made. Might have hurt my pride a bit, but, in the long run, it was worth it.
Enjoy your radio, it is one of my favorites.
trucker

I guess I am the only one that can see the picture attached to his quote with a BS meter and the quote "It is not easier to spread your version of how sh** ticks." If nobody else sees it, then I can understand why everyone is so bewildered by the fact that I responded the way I did.

Greetings mesa and welcome to the forum:

I have been here since Aug of 2010 and am a regular almost daily visitor here. I have never seen jazz or anyone else here purposely harass someone. I believe the bs meter on his signature is/was part of an on going discussion issue he may of had with someone else and maybe he just never removed it. An old feud perhaps.

Any way i generally 99% of the time find this forum to be very helpful and informative. At times 1% the boys do have a little fun after all, all work and no play makes jack a dull boy.

The moderators here will intercede and remove any thing that they feel may offend anyone and they know the members here very well to the point that they can read it in their posts instantly and react. I have seen this in action.

So enjoy your stay, no offense meant to you mate. Have a good day.

I guess I am the only one that can see the picture attached to his quote with a BS meter and the quote "It is not easier to spread your version of how sh** ticks." If nobody else sees it, then I can understand why everyone is so bewildered by the fact that I responded the way I did.

That is his signature, and it appears on EVERY post he makes. He wasn't singling you out, so don't take it personal.

If you don't think so; then please check out all of the posts he has made.
It should be fairly clear after that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.