• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148GTL no Output power

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Hi all. Been a while since I've been around. I picked up another radio and got a non-worker. Maybe I should quit buying these things at yard sales. LOL.

I put it on the bench and fired it up. RX is good. Key the mic and found RX/TX light functioning. Look at the meter and I have no output. Checked audio chip and found it good. I went to the driver and found the legs on the chip were broken off and no longer connected. So I replaced driver AND final while I was at it. Still no power out. AM or SSB, no output. I don't see any bulging caps, flexed the board looking for any broken solder joints and had no change. IC4 has good voltage but its also switching the LED so I think it's ok.

Does anyone have an idea of where to check next? I spent 20 bucks on this one and it's not been hacked or modded. 1992 5pin Philippines model so I was hoping to have a nice little radio. Thanks for any help.

Jerry...

Too low. On SSB should be PS voltage minus 1.4V drop on TR51
TR51 can be broken.TR49, 50, 52, 53 I would check too.
Mike

Last edited:
I've scanned the board and broke out the manual again and I still don't see a TR51. It's listed in the voltage chart. Anyone got a clue as to the location of that sucker. Ha.

I guess I'm just hoping something jumps out and slaps me. As your attachment doesn't help me. Just way over my head. I cant seem to find TR50 or 49, And from your reply on the location of TR51 I'd say thats the Voltage Regulator (D1135). Its got supply voltage and 8volts. 53 and 52 match my voltage chart.

Not sure where to go now. Maybe I have bit off more than I can chew.

Ha. Im an old guy! I do everything with paper. Not that fancy computer stuff. Im lucky to figure out how to do forums. Sorry. I have an old cobra 148gtl service manual. I bet ive had it from late 90s

So as you see on SSB voltage to driver and final goes through SW403C. As I wrote before it should be same voltage like on power supply. Maybe switch is faulty or driver/final is shorted?
MIke

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.