• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148GTL no Output power

OK. I've worked the switch and it seems to be fine. I'm changing from LSB to AM to USB as I TX on different radio and can RX it on the 148. Voltage during TX at finals drops of to 7 volts in AM mode but SSB there is no change. Full Power supply voltage -0.7 about.

BTW, Thanks for those schematics. Much easier to see! I used to go to CBtricks for info like that but can no longer find them.

OK. I've worked the switch and it seems to be fine. I'm changing from LSB to AM to USB as I TX on different radio and can RX it on the 148. Voltage during TX at finals drops of to 7 volts in AM mode but SSB there is no change. Full Power supply voltage -0.7 about.

BTW, Thanks for those schematics. Much easier to see! I used to go to CBtricks for info like that but can no longer find them.

Ok, looks like the "patient" has a heartbeat...

Get to know that chassis - because there's parts on there that you will need know not just where they're at and what they do, but how to adjust them properly.

Right now, 7 volts an the "AM side" will give you a 5 ~6 watt carrier in a properly tuned Cobra and its' modulation may be a little low because the carrier is a little too high.

If This Were My Radio:
  • I'd be looking into protecting the investment I'm putting into it
    • Get Familiar with the chassis...
    • Know where your adjust pots are...
    • Keep things on the low-side in power and voltage so you can reduce the damages if the unfortunate were to occur...
These are just observations...keep going...
  • Also know that you are now getting power into sections that are sensitive to imbalances
  • - best ideas right now is to put a "Dummy load" 50 ohm'er on the Antenna jack and the power supply fused with smaller 4-amp or less fuses to keep any possible shorting-out damage to a minimum,
  • - If you haven't already done so, put the radio on a power supply that has short circuit protection ALONG WITH those fuses
  • CAUTION - these things use capacitors for filtering so if a short were to develop - these Electrolytic's can dump a charge thru the short in quick order,
  • When you are not sure of a step, locate the parts on the schematic then look on the board to find them, they are not always placed together...
    • THINK THE STEP THRU in your head - then perform it - it's a lot like acting or practice, which is what repairing is,
    • think of yourself like a Doctor, your performing a practice - a repair...only on a radio and you have to be careful with the patient and perform the step the right way and in the right order (or turn) of motion.
You can do this - we are here to help you. Rome was not built in a day...

Last edited:
20190513_145848.jpg

If i look hard enough in my radio room i might be able to find a dummyload or three.

Problem is i still have no carrier/output power. Audio is alive and well. The tx/rx light changes as it shoild but no carrier.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.