• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 18 WX ST II (don’t laugh)

I think maybe I am over thinking this. Just in my nature. I like things to be almost perfect. Not just this but most things. Must be my OCD. True..the numbers I have are pretty good but you know...always could be better. But, the antenna placement is not the best so I also realize that. I think I will best leave it alone.....for now. LOL

Reactions: Slowmover
It was one of my first lessons in CB-life...

Just because an antenna looks to be "cool" at that spot on the vehicle - does NOT equate to being the best spot for the Antenna.

We make choices everyday, some are tolerable, others livable - others will annoy us to our graves because we have no choice but to accept it.

Does anyone have a picture of the mic gnd or know where it’s suppose to go? Mine is missing and I can’t figure out where it needs to go.

So I can’t leave well enough alone. LOL I decided to take the SWR meter off line. Its easy to add from under the seat now since the filter is there and also less lines going to the dash and back. I added another 6’ JEFA 240 coax from the radio to amp. Here is where it gets interesting to me. Not trying to start a debate but my power level went up!! Got a good 25w boost. There are no 3’ jumpers in the system. 12’ of coax from radio to amp, 6’ from amp to filter and then 18’ to antenna. SWR’s are about the same.

So I guess that coax length made a difference for me?

Here is a pic of under the seat:

3E00EB63-7700-4FB3-B5A9-F3338C58440B.jpeg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
So I can’t leave well enough alone. LOL I decided to take the SWR meter off line. Its easy to add from under the seat now since the filter is there and also less lines going to the dash and back. I added another 6’ JEFA 240 coax from the radio to amp. Here is where it gets interesting to me. Not trying to start a debate but my power level went up!! Got a good 25w boost. There are no 3’ jumpers in the system. 12’ of coax from radio to amp, 6’ from amp to filter and then 18’ to antenna. SWR’s are about the same.

Here is a pic of under the seat:

View attachment 35434
Uncoil it a run diagnostic and see what happens. I always run only what needed. That coil can act like a choke.

Reactions: ForestRunner98
Where did you say you put the meter?

I mean - how do you know this 25-watt figure?

You took out the SWR meter - so when you measured - where did you take the measurement?

If you have any of those SO239 Barrel connectors ...

upload_2020-3-21_16-14-8.png

Remove your Filter - then put this in its place - you length of coax stays the same take out the filter and see what Wattage does...

Else I have a fear you may have "Nodal" stuff going on, meaning the antenna is not doing the best at where it is at or the Filter was reactive and you are seeing the "reactive components" back at the meter...

Uncoil it a run diagnostic and see what happens. I always run only what needed. That coil can act like a choke.

Good idea!! I was running just what I needed. Wanted to see what would happen. I guess it could act like a choke.

Where did you say you put the meter?

I mean - how do you know this 25-watt figure?

You took out the SWR meter - so when you measured - where did you take the measurement?

If you have any of those SO239 Barrel connectors ...

Remove your Filter - then put this in its place - you length of coax stays the same take out the filter and see what Wattage does...

Else I have a fear you may have "Nodal" stuff going on, meaning the antenna is not doing the best at where it is at or the Filter was reactive and you are seeing the "reactive components" back at the meter...

The meter was at the dash board initially. The coax would snake from the radio to the amp(6’ coax under seat), amp to filter(3’ coax under seat), filter to meter(6’ coax at dash) and then antenna(18’ coax)
I had taken the watt measurement with a SWR/watt meter. The meter placed at the end after the filter. I was seeing 75-80w with the 6’ jumper from radio to amp. Then added another 6’ to equal 12’ and got a higher watt output. I know it sounds crazy! I just added coax lengths at spots and subtracted at spots. Could be other variables at play or even a faulty meter. I am just doing trial and error and having fun with this!

Reactions: Redbeard U812
That's why you really should remove the filter - keep the coax - just barrel it back together and review...

SWR up or down or power up or down - stuff like that - you're adding lengths of coax but you may be introducing losses that show up as being the power in the coax - not going to the antenna.- a loss issue.

It may not be a faulty meter - it may be a meter that sees the nodal effects of antenna / filter / amp - and their impedances networks they have to connect to each other...

Start removing the stuff the coax couples together - using barrel connectors to replace the item...save the amp for last...

Ok...these are great instructions!! I don’t have a O-scope but I do have a watt meter. I can turn L17, L20 and L21 and check the watt meter as I key down and see if I am at 1.5 watts.

I may be over my head but I am willing to try. I am not to comfortable in adding jumpers or resisters though.
Dude, you dont need a scope or analywr to adjust the carrier on a radio. That's just overkill. A watt meter is all you need

So I checked as Handy Andy and Redbeard suggested and my results were the same. My observations on the longer coax were wrong. Same numbers with and without the longer sections. So I went back to the original 3’ jumper....just enough coax as needed for the run. Thanks guys for the suggestions!!

I did in the mean time bond all four doors, hood, tailgate and exhaust. That had a big effect in SWR! Amp off its barley bumping the needle at both 1 and 40. Amp on its about 1.3 across the bands!!! Happy guy here!! Bonding works!!

However I did notice common ground issue that I should have noticed before. When I have the coax inner conductor plugged in I get 0-1 on S meter. As soon as I have the outer shell touch, the S meter jumps to 3-5. Now would a Palomar common ground filter help? I saw this one on their site and also HMO sells it.

Would this model work for 11m 27MHz? I am thinking yes.

6F74A2B6-F331-4874-8FDB-2F6858FEE041.png

When I read this type of post I think one thing

Ground your radio with one Black wire ground - meaning...

Open up the case...

Locate Black Ground wire...

That wire - unsolder it from the board...tape it off

In same hole - solder wire from Hole to CASE - your back panel - scratch/scrape or file off a spot (or drill and bolt/lug combo a wire to back/Rear metal panel - to bare metal and if needed a small torch (for heat to take solder to panel) and solder wire from Case to Board Ground - this can help you remove the ground loop even further. For when you solder or bolt the ground of the NEGATIVE Board Ground wire to the CASE - now CASE, COAX shield and board ground are all the SAME you've "strapped your Radio grounds together".

So how does the radio get power?

From the ability of the Coax SHIELD - being connected to the Amp and To the Antenna - they also provide grounding points - your noise is due to the inductive event of ground loop noise loop - your systems' grounds are not all equal - the radio tells you this in it's noise level.​

So if the Noise level is still too high or If it don't work for reducing noise, you can detach the case to board jumper wire and resolder your black wire in-- as in - reconnect/resolder the black wire to your ground hole inside the radio - but then you will have the noise level of this setup all the time.

BUT! - if this reduces your noise, then leave wire taped off, or remove, cut or just disconnect Black wire KEEP ORANGE wire if your radio is equipped with 3-wire...Black is no longer used for ground ok? Best to get rid of it or just tape off...

The Reason why this comes up is because on some radios like the Cobra 18 RV/WX and such - those Cobra 18's They used 3 wire power hookup - so one, Orange, wire went to Battery, while the other, RED (the bigger fused wire too) went to switched. BUT BLACK wire? Some Cobra 18's didn't need the Black wire if you mounted it - you could just leave it open free and never use it or clip it off because the radio was NEGATIVE ground only - MEANING it's CASE was Grounded to the Same Black Wire ground - and if permanently mounted, your bracket and or coax did the ground for you.

The 18 - at least some, came with Memory and DW or Dual Watch along with WX monitor - so the ORANGE wire needed to go somewhere with constant supply to power it - for if you didn't the Red wire remains to SWITCHED but if they wanted WX they couldn't hear any Alerts that may come thru and the Radio won't power up. Orange provided the power for WX monitor and Radio Battery memory (keep alive) so - the Alarm would sound and you could then use WX but not CB - you needed Red wire to do that.

What do people normally have? 2 Wire plug, if they lost the original - so the radio wouldn't power up so a lot of times I grounded the Case to Hole_That_Black_Wire_Went inside - used a jumper from RED inside to ORANGE hole inside to wire memory to go to their battery to keep the WX function and Memory alive - in doing this they found the radio did a lot better permanently mounted and noises and RF problems were a LOT less.

Also inclusive you may have the Radio that is only Negative Ground only radio polarity so you have at least 3 different types of grounding issues,

Uniden 3-pin plug/Jack needing 3 wire, Orange Battery but Red to Switched or TIE both together

Grommet'ed - 2-wire -RED to Battery (constant) Black to Frame or Battery Negative

No ground at CASE of radio (between the Seats - uses Cigarette lighter or LONG WIRE run for Ground)
- MAN! Just skip this type of install AVOID LIKE THE COVID-19 IF YOU CAN
So for best results - if you aren't living in Australia or other countries that have the vehicles Positively Grounded versus the standard American SAE Negative Ground - Best to GROUND to Radio BACK panel and let the Coax Shield provide the Ground for you - at the amp or at the antenna.

Last edited:
Well...I tired to ground the black- wire to the back of the case and no dice. Noise was still there and no power if I dico’d the coax. It would use the coax as ground. Oh and noise still there when fully plugged. Here is innards if the radio.

12F74333-2166-464C-BD92-352C67FE24BE.jpeg

Well, thanks for letting me try and help - these '18s work, but yes, show how cars can get noisy too.

As you can see In the pic you don't have those "disc caps" right around the screws, they're underneath if needed and not all areas are bypassed with them - the one of mine here in this thread is just Negative Ground Only - so there is little provision for noise reduction - love to see these things have an RF gain but Cobra and their INFINITE wisdom - never thought about this or worse - had to stay with the platform designs thread history - they don't get better RF noise reduction (RF Gain/NB ANL stuff) until you're into the 25 series and up.
The Black wire ground stuff is about the best you can do, simply use the Coax itself to provide grounding back to the amp. So yes you'll need the coax but noise will be in there - even in a typical 25 - these setups noise problems are more related to the vehicle than to the radio - they tend to show how well or poorly the vehicle was put together.

No not trying to say it's poorly made but as you are seeing - the bonding issues are showing the SWR quirks were related to radiative fender and panel problems of their shielding and poor grounds to frame.

You're not alone in this...

Sigh...well make the Best of it...Gosh Darn It...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.