• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 18 WX ST II (don’t laugh)

So I decided to “splurge” and get a President McKinley radio. All I can say is that this radio is leaps and bounds over the Cobra 18!!!!

It has AM/SSB, RF pwr and gain and a ton of other cool features. I have it set at 2w for the amp and it seems like the heater likes it. Doesn’t get as warm and I got further on AM local...30+ miles and said I was loud and proud.

Noise levels are at 0-1s level with the RF gain full. The Cobra was a constant 3-5s. I could not get it less quiet.

I am having fun with SSB! Made a DX contact but I couldn’t hear them so well. But that’s ok...it was still cool!! I also like the up/down buttons on the mic. Don’t have to fiddle with the knob.

The other thing I like is the DIN size. Still fits like a glove! I was looking at this before the cobra but was more than twice the price on something I wasn’t sure I would get into. I will keep the Cobra and maybe put a cig adaptor so I can communicate with family on multiple car trips.

Here is a pic. Note S level at 3 because someone was transmitting. Love it!!!

1BFB17FF-4B13-455E-AF5C-B3AC81BB17A2.jpeg

You will really enjoy the sideband when skip is rolling. I hear a few operators in the southern California when skip is rolling. You should be able to find some locals to talk to on sideband there.

Ya SSB gives more channels to make some contact. Skip was not great today but I did catch a fellow from North Carolina coming in on Ch 6.

So I decided to “splurge” and get a President McKinley radio. All I can say is that this radio is leaps and bounds over the Cobra 18!!!!

It has AM/SSB, RF pwr and gain and a ton of other cool features. I have it set at 2w for the amp and it seems like the heater likes it. Doesn’t get as warm and I got further on AM local...30+ miles and said I was loud and proud.

Noise levels are at 0-1s level with the RF gain full. The Cobra was a constant 3-5s. I could not get it less quiet.

I am having fun with SSB! Made a DX contact but I couldn’t hear them so well. But that’s ok...it was still cool!! I also like the up/down buttons on the mic. Don’t have to fiddle with the knob.

The other thing I like is the DIN size. Still fits like a glove! I was looking at this before the cobra but was more than twice the price on something I wasn’t sure I would get into. I will keep the Cobra and maybe put a cig adaptor so I can communicate with family on multiple car trips.

Here is a pic. Note S level at 3 because someone was transmitting. Love it!!!

View attachment 39130

Your enjoyment of Radio has been palpable. Great to read each entry along the way. Am pleased for you that you took the plunge!

That rig takes a back seat to no one. “More” is illusory. Right, is the thing.

Reading here will make just that much more sense as that radio can deliver what you’ve seen others talking about.

I have had a lot of help from you and other members here. Too many names to list. LOL One can just look at all the posts. I was doing everything I could but in the end the radio isn’t the greatest. But I did learn a TON and now the am happy with the performance of my CB rig.

“Nobody puts baby in the corner” Is it be all end all of systems? No of course not. BUT I can speak to a ton more people at greater distances now.

Ya Slo...I kept reading about guys using SSB for DXing and wanted in on that. Maybe I can talk to you when you reach San Diego. Only a little over 100 miles.

Is this thread/story over? No!! I will keep trying to better my radio. How? Maybe a roof mount Sirio 5000. Antenna needs to fold down. I am rapidly going down that rabbit hole!!! LOL

My tractor will be in better shape than before. But the present antenna pair is a placeholder till I get home. Even after a longer pair, I’ve a ways to go. Can hear pretty dern well, but . . . .

I, too, did and do receive help & encouragement here. Great site!

Your turn, soon. (I call those on/off button CBs. Nothing wrong with it, eh, . . . )

Break break...917 runner Southern California on a mobile ...I am stuck at work and I am back on the side. Safe travels Sir!!

I kept at it awhile. Figured you’d be at work, but here’s the chance anyway.

At 1355 could hear someone quite “distant” asking for a response on LSB-21 as I was stuck in traffic passing U-Cal Riverside.

I can hear fairly well (relative to a better mobile than a typical big truck radio rig), but this pair of 4’ SOTT Everhardts aren’t making the trip. He couldn’t hear me (so far as I could tell).

The MFJ-945e showed me with 3.5W Reflected & 90W Forward (SWR of 1.3 standing on it this way) as I was loading at Moreno Valley. so am needing a pair of quarter-waves (at least) to make better use of the baby amp.

Got up Cajon Pass and called it quits. Back to AM-19.

Last time I rode this road, Pat Brown was in his last year as governor. (Bonus points for the year).

Reactions: ForestRunner98
I got out at 5pm and went to LSB 21 and called out. You were long over the Cajon at that time. The Cajon is bad in winter. Gets icy when coming down. Steep too!!

Hmm....I am going to guess 1966 or 67. You must have been on the old road(Route 66). I15 wasn’t finished till the mid 70’s thru the Cajon pass. That’s a long time ago Slo!!!

If ya make it back out west give a holler!!!

Reactions: Slowmover
It's one of those moments when you WISH you have a Sweet-16 around to key-up - just to see what happens...

Really bad luck in life having roasted a dragon-fly, that’s what.

Anyone disputes their intelligence isn’t paying attention. Several hundred million years of successful design isn’t to be toyed with.

Besides, they’re damned fun to watch in wolf pack tactics.

They’ll know your name, address, phone numbers . . . and the shit that really matters elsewhere on the electromagnetic spectrum.

Think of how the honeyeater bird tells bears how to find a hive full of honey. And then think of that from adjoining universe pleased to receive a personal invitation to an appetizer.

Last edited:
It's one of those moments when you WISH you have a Sweet-16 around to key-up - just to see what happens...

That did cross my mind for s split sec. Radio and amp on and key up yelling AUDIO!!! It flew away about 2 seconds after that pic.

Really bad luck in life having roasted a dragon-fly, that’s what.

Anyone disputes their intelligence isn’t paying attention. Several hundred million years of successful design isn’t to be toyed with.

Besides, they’re damned fun to watch in wolf pack tactics.

Na...I didn’t want to possibly bbq that poor thing. They are amazing! We don’t get many here in the LA suburbs so when we see one we’re all excited.

Hope humans can last as long as they have on this planet.

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.