• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 18 WX ST II (don’t laugh)

So I did some tinkering on the McKinley. Since the mic element is behind the plastic I drilled a hole where the element is. I didn’t want to drill into the element so I got an Exacto knife and removed the rubbery adhesive. There wasn’t much and really not necessary since the element friction fits in the cavity. Sounds a little louder that I turned down the mic gain.

Second on the list was the AM swing. It was swinging to about 5w. Turned the tiny pot and it swings to 7W. I could not get it higher. It would just go back to 0 like I read about. So with the amp it keys at 25w swings a little over 100w. Was interesting. Hmm..maybe I should have turned the mic gain all the way up as well as the RF power and THEN adjust the pot. It got too hot and humid...closed up and grabbed a beer. I will fiddle with it again.

Ok because I am a crazy neurotic person I had to see what those pots do. I downloaded the service manual. They are RT1 and RT2. They are not squelch adjustments. Here is a shot of the page:

06DF38FB-D162-494E-96A8-EC3853D79E66.jpeg

What does it do...I have no idea? Volume for channel 20 on AM and SSB?

Anybody have an idea? Seeing that I did turn but returned the pot to the same spot(more or less), is it a big deal? Like Slomover said would it start the doomsday clock??

Reactions: Handy Andy
I received a 6 to 4 pin mic adaptor because I wanted to try my Cobra power mic. Stock President mic is ok but mmmm....could be better.

I installed the mic and did some mic checks with my son on a Uniden HH cb. He said the Cobra power mic sounded much much better!! Cleaner speech. With the mic gain on max I can go up to #6 before it distorts. He said sounded a little scratchy past that. I would transmit on one and then the other and the Cobra was a winner! I had a small convo with another station about 10 miles away and my audio was clean and mean. One of the features I like on the President mic is the channel selector but I will take better audio any ole day!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.