• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 19 DX IV

89BII

Dec 30, 2006
Anyone know of any mods that I can do to this cb? can i add talk back and things like that to this radio? any helpp is apprecated(sp). thanks

89BII said:
Anyone know of any mods that I can do to this cb? can i add talk back and things like that to this radio? any helpp is apprecated(sp). thanks

I bought one awhile back...I felt it was junk and took it back. I got a XL520 uniden. Great little radio once I uped the modulation.

I agree with the 510/520; however, if you have a Cobra 19, you can add talkback in the same fashi0ojn as in a Cobra 29 or 25, using a resistor from the external speaker jack's ground to main board ground. You can also bump up the modulation level a bit via a POT on the circuit board. Don't bother trying to get more power by tuning the back end, its basically a waste of time.

so if I toke it to a cb shop it would be a waste for a peak and tune? could you give me some more details on adding talk back? and what is a POT?

he more then likely would have given you the number of the pot or variable control pot in the radio if he had had it close by or if he had known what it was off the top of his head , if you can hang in there ? chances are he might get back to you on that. OK , This will be very easy for you , you will look to get a resistor at 1/4 watt size , next will depend on how loud you might want it ? This will be determined on the size of ohms resistor that you will use , 68 ohms works well for me , but I have also used 82 or so for less loudness , you see what I mean ? usually the higher you go turns it down where the lower you go turns it up . Take the covers off the radio , look at the back of the radio and see where the ex-speaker jack and the PA jacks are side by side , on the bottom side of the board you will see where each jack is grounded to the board , this is where you will solder you 1/4 watt 68 ohm resistor to , ground to ground from each jack .
im001826su9.jpg

89BII said:
so if I toke it to a cb shop it would be a waste for a peak and tune? could you give me some more details on adding talk back? and what is a POT?

Basically, yes, it would be a waste. The control for modulation will be near the audio transformer on the circuit board. It is touchy, so be careful. I do not have a POT # to give you, since i just go from general memory/experience on knowing which one to use.

As for talkback, run a 100-ohm resistor from the ground of the speaker jack to any part of the main circuit board ground.

Those little 19s will hold there own Mr Gee , I'vee been through so many different ones I can't remember the numbers ,but they will tune up and there should be a VR for the modulation in that radio if I recall , I know you have the smarts enough for that. For under 40 bucks you can't go wrong. IM not a fan of those fat rounded Cobra stock mic's though , the ones I have tested never really sounded that good. That's just my experiance with them. The older coffin style mic's usually sound a lot better , then again ,as far as those stock mic's go , more then likely anything would be better then those. Happy New Year dude !
0002837720105_500X500.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut: