• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 19 upgrade

blaze09

Nov 12, 2011
michigan
Which stock final do I pull so I can replace it with a mosfet on the 19 III? also, are their any other mods I can do to make this radio scream?

here is not much that can be done with those little dudes, they are what they are. There is some slight tune up work that can be done to get a touch more modulation and swing. If the finals are old style you cannot just "swap in" mosfets. You would have to re-work other parts/sections of the radio to match up with mosfets. Best bet would be to talk to a trusted tech and see what can be done. I would up-grade to the Cobra 25 size chasis, the mods for them are endless.

Here is all that cb tricks has http://cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/19dxiii/index.htm

Which stock final do I pull so I can replace it with a mosfet on the 19 III? also, are their any other mods I can do to make this radio scream?

Those 19s are just cheap low budget radios that will work OK but will never scream. A Cobra 21 LTD can be modded to talk great but anything less is throwing good money after bad.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you have the newer version of a Cobra 19 it probably already has a mosfet final, all new cb radio's have them now.

Putting time and money into these Cobra 19III would be better spent on other used radio's you could get on eBay if money matters. I just gave mine away. They are OK for people who are not into CB's and just want to talk to someone who is right in front of them so you can max the squelch. They receive pretty good but all the hash and scratch is overwhelming you have to squelch them all the way because the interference is obnoxious and there is nothing special in the audio either! Not trying to knock your radio but they are just not worth trying.

taken from CB Tips and Tricks

Cobra 19 Plus, 19 DX, 19 Ultra (and other brand/models with same chassis):

Supertune: Replace the final with a 2SC1969 unit. Solder a jumper across the diode going from the Audio Transformer to the Driver and Final (this may cause receive distortion at high volumes, remove jumper if it does). Solder a jumper across the resistor going from the base of the Final to the Driver. If a diode has been cut for modulation, solder it back together, or replace it. Adjust the modulation control POT (VR) for 100% modulation (usually between 1/4 to 3/4 way open). Tune output coils for best swing, using a loud, steady "aaaaah" sound into the mic. Note: These radios are superb for clarity of modulation, even on the stock mic.

you could even take the time to install an IRF520 and maybe go for even more out put...

that being said I would not even bother... the BEST upgrade is a new radio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.