• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 GTL DeBunking

88_bandit

Dec 13, 2009
Okay I recently purchased a used 2000 and upon receiving i noticed a weird modificaton. It is using the CB/PA switch and is hooked up to the PLL area and consists of:
1 - c945 transistor
2 - 4148 diodes
1 - 10k Ohm resistor

Also there is a 4148 diode on the bottem side of the power supply board with a cut trace???
Any help would be much appreciated.

73's20220920184817.jpg

Okay I recently purchased a used 2000 and upon receiving i noticed a weird modificaton. It is using the CB/PA switch and is hooked up to the PLL area and consists of:
1 - c945 transistor
2 - 4148 diodes
1 - 10k Ohm resistor

Also there is a 4148 diode on the bottem side of the power supply board with a cut trace???
Any help would be much appreciated.

73'sView attachment 60666
Does it transmit and receive?

If you know what frequency each of the legal 40 channels should show, you can see what frequencies above 40 or below channel 1 you'll get by flipping the PA and ANL (maybe?) switches. They will change the counter reading on some of the 40 channels, but not all.

That radio has more secret sauce in it than a Kansas City barbecue joint.

Last edited:
If you know what frequency each of the legal 40 channels should show, you can see what frequencies above 40 or below channel 1 you'll get by flipping the PA and ANL (maybe?) switches. They will change the counter reading on some of the 40 channels, but not all.

That radio has more secret sauce in it than a Kansas City barbecue joint.

old sears roadtalker i got has 5 extra bands.every band has about 15 diffrent frequincys from standard 40. and not in sequnch either

88 Bandit's C2000 PLL mods.jpg

Pin 11 - Grounding this drops you 320kc (or 32 channels from whatever Pin 10 is set to.
If Pin 10 is high (normally open or floating) then Ch 15 becomes 26.815 MHz, or
If Pin 10 is low (grounded) then Ch 15 becomes 27.455 MHz

Pin 10 - Normally open or floating (pulled high with internal resistor), grounding this pin "bumps" you up by 640kc, or the equivalent to 64 channels, which puts Ch 1 to 27.605 MHz.

Pin 9 - +8v VCC PLL chip supply pin.

Page 3 (of 4) gives you the frequency chart.

They did not implement Pin 12 or Pin 13 to backfill frequencies missed by the above mod (27.425 for instance).

Search the net for 'Digimax Lite'. These are a microprocessor type of mod that gives you all the channels, even the A's and displays it correctly on your counter.

When I bought my Cobra 2000 it had the extra crystals wired up to one of the radio's switches too. Very poorly done BTW.

Before Arduinos and other microcontroller type of kits, I made my own crystal board using relays. It's much more stable, but by no means perfect. Basically it's like the old Expo kits but without the rotary switch (that stick or fail).

I want to eventually upgrade to the Digimax system, (the word 'eventually' in this case means... when the WIFE says I can) LOL!

I wish I still had my old college stuff. I've done some microcontroller work. Loads of fun!

Reactions: Woody-202
Search the net for 'Digimax Lite'. These are a microprocessor type of mod that gives you all the channels, even the A's and displays it correctly on your counter.

When I bought my Cobra 2000 it had the extra crystals wired up to one of the radio's switches too. Very poorly done BTW.

Before Arduinos and other microcontroller type of kits, I made my own crystal board using relays. It's much more stable, but by no means perfect. Basically it's like the old Expo kits but without the rotary switch (that stick or fail).

I want to eventually upgrade to the Digimax system, (the word 'eventually' in this case means... when the WIFE says I can) LOL!

I wish I still had my old college stuff. I've done some microcontroller work. Loads of fun!

Yep, I like my DigiMax. Have one in a 29xlr and another in a 148gtl

8_1000_466-tiny.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated