• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 GTL -- headphone jack connections?

GTC

May 12, 2013
I'm working my way through a resto on a GTL. Although there's a headphone jack in situ, there are no connections to it and there are no disconnected wires hanging around either. I've checked out the schematic and it appears there should be a PCB labelled PC-480 from which the headphone connections are wired -- but I don't see any such PCB.

The socket in place does not strike me as being original, so I'm guessing maybe a previous owner had repurposed the headphone jack hole for some other "feature".

Does anyone have a good photo of the underside of a GTL showing the headphone connections?

Cobra 2000 GTL headphone socket wiring.jpg

Odds are you'll find a blue and a yellow wire that used to go to the headphone jack, soldered (you hope) to each other.

Pretty sure I'm remembering the bypass trick you use if the jack goes bad.......

I haven't found any wires like that. Looks to me that the hacker has cleaned up behind himself.

Now that I have an idea of what it looked like, I may be able to make one myself on a piece of prototyping board ... unless I can find someone parting out a GTL.

Update: I've managed to get a look at the Sams Photofact for this radio and it gives the wire colors as: Yellow from S407 (PA/CB) to L411 on PC-480; Blue from S404 (speaker select) to L412 on the PC-480 and Red from the junction of R416 & R417 on PC-480 to the junction of L417 & L418 on PC-479 (the 'other output jacks' board).

Attachments

• Cobra 2000 GTL headphone socket wiring (SAMS).jpg
    Cobra 2000 GTL headphone socket wiring (SAMS).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I haven't found any wires like that. Looks to me that the hacker has cleaned up behind himself.

Now that I have an idea of what it looked like, I may be able to make one myself on a piece of prototyping board ... unless I can find someone parting out a GTL.

Update: I've managed to get a look at the Sams Photofact for this radio and it gives the wire colors as: Yellow from S407 (PA/CB) to L411 on PC-480; Blue from S404 (speaker select) to L412 on the PC-480 and Red from the junction of R416 & R417 on PC-480 to the junction of L417 & L418 on PC-479 (the 'other output jacks' board).
It was also in my previous post quoted above.
It's all in the service manual link I posted. That service manual is one of the most detailed ones that I have seen.
Here it is again for you.
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/2000gtl/graphics/cobra_2000gtl_sm.pdf

Reactions: NZ8N, GTC and Dmans

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.