• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 GTL Lites

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
I recently bought this radio from eBay and it is a beauty with Extra channels but I need to buy replacement lamps for the 2 meters and the Receive lite. Does anyone know of a CB shop I can call and order replacement lamps. I don't want to bother my daughter again to buy them from eBay because I already paid her to buy the radio. I don't use PayPal anymore because I won't put my SS# on the computer. Thanks in advance !

If you still have some type of Hardware store - look around for their Flashlight bulb section.

Sounds corny but no, it's not.

There are still "grain of wheat" type bulbs - including ones for train sets, around.

You need 8V to 10V types.

Here's a chart to help you find those T1 3/4 Bi-pin Incandescent type bulbs used for the Cobra / Uniden if you wish to keep the VINTAGE look and lamp.

upload_2021-8-13_7-22-51.png

They come with a 4-digit number to identify - you can use the chart to help you and your local hardware or hobby store locate and purchase them for you.

That's where you really need to go, is to a hobby store and rummage around there

Last edited:
Thanks vintage Plug & Play is what I'm after. If I had more time I would Mod. but that isn't in the cards !

If you still have some type of Hardware store - look around for their Flashlight bulb section.

There are sill "grain of wheat" type bulbs - including ones for train sets around.

Here's a chart to help you find those T1 3/4 Bi-pin Incandescent type bulbs used for the Cobra / Uniden if you wish to keep the VINTAGE look and lamp.

View attachment 46360

The come with a 4-digit number to identify - you can use the chart to help you and your local hardware or hobby store locate and purchase them for you.

That's where you really need to go, is to a hobby store and rummage around there

Thanks vintage Plug & Play is what I'm after. If I had more time I would Mod. but that isn't in the cards !

Ok, so you know, these "bi-pins" need leads - you'll have to solder the wires from the old bulb onto the leads.

It is not difficult once done - just apply either tape or superglue "gel" to help keep the leads firm and from shorting to each other.

Another option...
upload_2021-8-13_21-35-16.png
Found in older Desktop PC cases...​

If you're good with PC computing - the 2-pin Headers used for LEDs' the ones even for 2-pin jumper - can fit the 2pin base of these and with these headers comes with wires that allow you some convenient length in which to replace the old white wire used for the bulb.- I found that these simple headers off of an old PC case work wonders in making the bulb easier to replace - even with LED if the urge occurs.

Last edited:
Reactions: whiteastro
Thank for the help and tips. I'm checking a lighting company for the proper bulbs and I'll probably use heat shrink tube. You have been a big help.

because these new bulbs don't draw enough current you will end up with the dreaded channel display glow when the radio is off there are a few mods for this but i didn't like all the work jump here add wire and so on so what i did was i added 2 more lights to the meter and bam dim glow dissapear look at pic.20210814_081411.jpg
Thanks this is a very interesting option that I just might use !

because these new bulbs don't draw enough current you will end up with the dreaded channel display glow when the radio is off there are a few mods for this but i didn't like all the work jump here add wire and so on so what i did was i added 2 more lights to the meter and bam dim glow dissapear look at pic.View attachment 46388
What did you do, pigtail two extra lights on the factory lite wiring?

Thanks sounds simple enough. I'm going to try the old Bulb Town supply first for the correct bulbs first, but if they want a Large order I might try your method.

There are still "grain of wheat" type bulbs - including ones for train sets, around.

View attachment 46360

They come with a 4-digit number to identify - you can use the chart to help you and your local hardware or hobby store locate and purchase them for you.

Looking at your charts from JKL Components looks like I need bulb 7344 and they have it in stock. Is all the bulbs in that radio the same because I need the receive lite bulb also and when a few go bad there will soon be the others the way I see it?

Reactions: Handy Andy
Yes, you'll need similar lamps to fit the "mounting hole" for RX and TX lamps - they use the same type.

Most usually choose 7371 - which is a 12V type - but they use of a dropping resistor of 47 ohms, puts the bulb filament requirement between 8V to 6V - with 6V being pretty bright and hot. While 8V gives you more even brightness, but 10V types gives you longer life and the colors are more saturated.

IF you plan on running 14 volts or more out of a power supply for this radio - (not recommended) - you might want to choose the 7371 (12V) it's safer but lower brightness will handle the higher voltage.

It seems to be the main reason why most repair - in the shop moments - are for when the user try's to get a few more "ghost" watts out of the radio by turning up the power supply voltage.

These things are fed thru the 13.8 Power supply rail and use a dropping resistor

Increasing that voltage applies more voltage to the bulbs - this shortens the life the of bulbs by at least 50% of their expected life - and on top of the heating that bakes the decal stencils that are non-replaceable - you have to use a photocopier / transparency method to develop the transfer and the inlay - and cut to size to get the Receive Transmit On-Air to look right.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.