• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 GTL- need basic checkup?

ronthereptile

Sep 13, 2006
Hey guys, I posted this on another forum as well...
Just picked one up for $90 from and old guy who hadn't used it in years. It has 2 speakers and cosmetically, it is very pretty. All the lights, meters work, counter works great, no humming or buzzing. I had no way of testing when I bought it. I brought it home and hooked it up to my mobile antenna to test. (swr meter read 1.2-1.5). My base antenna is not up yet. Is that ok for testing purposes? I noticed a few of the dials were a bit scratchy and the audio didn't sound too great. Not loud at all, and a little muffled. :? Only one of the speaker jacks works, and the Pa doesn't work either. I know both speakers work, I tried them on my modile and they sound great! I didn't get anybody on the waves, I live in the country and don't get anybody unless I go SSB. But no one was on tonight. I also checked with my mobile to make sure. Besides using electrical contact cleaner on the pods and board, is there anything I can do to clean it up? Should I take it to a shop and have them do a thorough check on it? since I think I got a great deal. I know for sure that it hasn't been used for a least 5 years. Should I leave it on for a few hours to let it warm up? I also got a box with 5 dials that came with it labeled a R.S.O. Low Pass Filter. No idea what it is. Anyone know what it is?
Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.