• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COBRA 2000 HELP

BAGEBOY

Oct 28, 2014
I recently got a cobra 2000 it transmits on Am when I switch to side band and key the radio goes very dim to almost off.i have even tried using it with external powersupply but this doesn't change it

Do you know where the two bias-test jumper wires are? Don't have a picture handy.

Unplug the end of each of these where they plug into the circuit board.

See if keying the mike still causes this symptom with both wires unplugged.

Would tell us where to look next.

Do you know where the two bias-test jumper wires are? Don't have a picture handy.

Unplug the end of each of these where they plug into the circuit board.

See if keying the mike still causes this symptom with both wires unplugged.

Would tell us where to look next.

I unplugged the purple wire and it stayed on when plugged back in it went back off when I key on ssb

Means the purple wire the section it goes to in the back, has a problem, from a blown final - dead short - onto a blown diode (bias type) open popped like a fuse - you need to investigate, look for soldering issues, else parts (possibly more than one since you can TX on AM but not SSB) needs to be replaced - the purple wire is a feed from the AM / SSB mode switch power branch - one side goes to the AM Regulator (TR41 and TR42) routes to the front panel - along with wires from the Power choke to that mode switch - then goes back to the power choke, using TP "stems" and routes from there to their Driver or Final sections.

IF work has been done previously - the section that purple wire affects, may need to be rebuilt or at least ohmed-out using a DVM in Continuity-setting for dead short checks as well as Ohmic and Voltage checks afterwards in AM mode - then in SSB - with the power off if necessary to prevent damage while checking for those shorts..

I'll just leave this here, I had several spring "fires" that wife-y needed done before I came out to play...

So I didn't forget you @BAGEBOY - just busy.

I hope this can help others in the future...
upload_2021-3-28_8-58-12.png

upload_2021-3-28_9-1-7.png

Reactions: NZ8N
Thanks guys just one more issues
Ii tried adjusting the lsb a d USB
L22 and L59.i have changed the vco how ever on am the frequency is fine when I go ssb it changes see attch photos

Attachments

• IMG-20210328-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20210328-WA0013.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-20210328-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20210328-WA0014.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-20210328-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20210328-WA0015.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 3

dxChat
Help Users