• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 L38 Coil

HavaV10

May 24, 2023
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Hello, I have a fairly in good shape Cobra 2000. The radio has been tinkered with many years ago. I'm trying to put it back to stock and have already replaced a lot of components. The L38 coil near the rear of the radio is melted by a iron and is also stuck and starting to crack. I'd like to replace it but I have no idea of the value or were to find a new one. Can anyone help me out here? Thank You.

Mike

Attachments

• 348977869_966026531260238_3232706321714002627_n.jpg
    348977869_966026531260238_3232706321714002627_n.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 9

My first suggestion would be from a junked radio. But if you don't have ready access to a junker, you can unsolder this one from the circuit board and back the tuning slug out the bottom of the coil form. A Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel would permit you to just remove the melted portion. The coil form would be shorter now, but might be long enough to solder back into the circuit board and still obtain a proper peak adjustment from it. To lock the tuning slug in a way that won't cause it to seize up we use a drop of melted beeswax. Most craft stores will sell it. That's what the factory used to stabilize the slug's setting.

My first suggestion would be from a junked radio. But if you don't have ready access to a junker, you can unsolder this one from the circuit board and back the tuning slug out the bottom of the coil form. A Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel would permit you to just remove the melted portion. The coil form would be shorter now, but might be long enough to solder back into the circuit board and still obtain a proper peak adjustment from it. To lock the tuning slug in a way that won't cause it to seize up we use a drop of melted beeswax. Most craft stores will sell it. That's what the factory used to stabilize the slug's setting.

thanks I ordered a new one from Kens Electronics. But great idea, I will keep that in mind for next time. Thank you for responding

Reactions: unit_399

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.