• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 Receive

BAGEBOY

Oct 28, 2014
I have a. Cobra 2000 I just. Realize when I flip AnL. To off my receive goes silent no audio if I switch it back on it works. Fine any ideas. As I know it’s. Not working as should

When you switch ANL "off", you're just bypassing D23. I'd start by checking the wires to and from the ANL switch to see if either is shorted to ground. Maybe do a continuity check to see that the wires are intact from the board to the switch, although if one's open it's like hard wiring the ANL "on". Maybe check C78?

If it's a "pre-owned" radio look to see if the ANL switch has been repurposed for some hack modification or another. Jumping to a frequency outside the FCC allotted ones can sound like silence at first.

Failing all that, go to wwdx and ask.. oh, wait, you've done that bit.

In case you don't have it, you can get a copy of the schematic here: https://elektrotanya.com/cobra_2000gtl.pdf/download.html

Hopefully the board members that actually know something will weigh in soon.

Reactions: NZ8N and Robalo
Did you have a look at the frequency counter when it went silent? Did the channel frequency shift or become unstable?

Did the S-meter reading change when it's flipped?

This is not a normal fault. But the ANL switch is terribly popular to hijack and hook to some other part of the radio. Like for extra channels as an example.

Just sounds like the ANL switch got rewired. There is one other possibility. Check C67 to see if it's shorted. Just unsoldering one end of it and isolating it from the foil pad may be just as fast a way check this.

Doesn't go bad that often, but it's an electrolytic capacitor. They do fail, especially after that "awkward age" around 30.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated