• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 shocks

BAGEBOY

Oct 28, 2014
I have cobra 2000. Which belongs to a friend.he mentioned he got a small shock. From this radio.I experienced it also but not sure what could cause it. Ur it happen a few times I assume something is leaking where should I start

I would start with the calibrated eyeball. The AC line cord connects to a small circuit board with two choke coils and four disc capacitors on it. Any sign of stress or damage, cracks or scorch marks are what you're looking for. These parts can become accidental surge arrestors if lightning strikes a nearby utility pole. But if they get scorched and create leakage current to the radio's metal chassis, this is a hazard. The radio does not have a third prong on the power plug.

If you can plug it into a GFCI-protected outlet, make sure the antenna coax is grounded, and see if connecting the antenna trips off the GFCI. If it does, the radio has a leakage-current problem.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.