• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 squeel on receive

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
My 2000 runs great (BUT) when my power mics plugged in the receive has a squeel and its more noisey as you turn up the volum on the radio (AF Gain) weird I cant figure it out and it sucks because at time i need to turn it up but cant because that noise gets out of hand. I dont understand what that mic has to do with receive and the speaker volume?????!!!! Now someone educate me please LOL.....Thanks Tony

The problem is that you're using a power mike with only four wires, hooked to a 5-pin mike plug.

The reason that radio has five pins instead of four is to provide two, separate ground connections. Pin 1 is for mike audio ONLY, and pin 4 is the receive/transmit switching ground.

If you use a six-wire mike, you'll have that separate "keying only" wire for pin 4, and the shield will go to pin 1.

Using just one of the two ground pins or jumping them together causes odd feedback problems. It has the effect of hooking the audio-only ground to the keying-circuit ground. The squeal noises you get are caused by what's called a "ground loop" between the two ground circuits. Some of the old 4-wire power mikes could be converted to a 5-wire cord, some couldn't. Until you can separate the two ground circuits, you'll get odd noises on receive, or transmit or both.

Bet it doesn't do this with the stock straight mike.

well off the top of my head that should be at least a 5 wire cord ? I have never cared to much for 5 pin plugs or din plugs for that matter !! Good to see that it seems like more and more radios are simply coming with 4 pin style mic plugs ......I do understand that you need the extra pins depending on the radios functions ......I just have not ever been a fan of the Cobra 2000 over the years , now that they have been out of manufacturing them for a dozen years or so , IM just not seeing to many used ones that are in tip top condition )-: problems galore .....weak power supplies ,faulty freq counters , some that have been so used up even the readings on them are piss poor .....I never personally owned one .....I have heard many and even fixed a few that were fixable ......I personally wouldn't give 100.00 bucks for a used one nowadays .....oh I might ...but only for resale at a profit. I tell guys to stay away from them ......or to look for a Grant XL or older 148 and just use a good strong power supply on them or even go another step and add a Ranger freq counter on them ....especially if there using them for base stations. I realize they are pretty radios and that has always seemed to be a catch for peoples eye's ......IM not saying there bad radios ....there just getting mighty old and even harder to get parts for and if you do find the parts ,chances are that ain't to cheap......but yet I can't help but here how much guys love there 2000s over the years ......to each his or her own. That microphone should work just fine and dandy on your 2000 Tony ......just wired the same mic to a friend of mines 2000s a few months back ......no problems at all . Check the mic plug and make sure the connections are soldered cleanly ......a few questions .....Did this mic work good before on your radio ? is this a new mic ? and what are the colors of the wires ? Ebay special ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.