• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 25 five tone roger beep

Mcds26

Apr 1, 2006
Cali
i out the five tone roger beep in and works if but it is loud as hell on my speaker and i don't have talk back in the radio but the roger beep comes over the speaker LOUD

2 wires on the transmint pin 3 in and out
1 wire to audio pin 2

five tone beep

hi Mcds26, Five tone beeps etc, audio break through can be cured using a relay with at least 150ohms resistance at keast three terminals, get a relay at 12 volts, iam unsure if the wires from the beep are the same as a uk eqiv but if red-13.8 black neg-0.volts,blue audio,yell,green,orange -on/off ,- on the coil side of the relay solder 1 side to 12/13.8 if a 12 volt relay is used, the other goes to th 2 wires that u soldered together maybe yellow) not the wire that would be green on the tx pin, the other contacts on the relay go to the rx circuits ie unsolder the wire from the rx pin on the cb set, use a volt meter to check the relay contacts for the 2 terminals that rx, the wire you have unsoldered goes to 1 side and the other contact of the relay goes to the screen of the circuit board, to make the cb set rx as you deekey you may here the beep in the background, hope this helps. the mod works 100%. as you dekey the mic it opens the contacts out of rx clicking the relay to tx ie no path to earth for the audio of the beep to run. easy.in a rush over here its 7.ish in the morning,-warhorse.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
i have to wonder if you broke into the transmit line corectly?you say 2 wires on pin 3 in n out ...did you actually remove the transmit wire and replace it with a wire from the board?i have never had a problem like you describe with a 5 tone.makes me wonder if you broke into the key line correctly.you need to remove the wire going to pin 3 and replace it with one from the board,then solder that removed lead to another lead from the board.was this done??or are both wires just soldered to pin 3?

Yeah, I'm like you, I don't think he's got it hooked up correctly to start with, I've installed many many of these boards and at no point is there 3 wires soldered together.

i have to wonder if you broke into the transmit line corectly?you say 2 wires on pin 3 in n out ...did you actually remove the transmit wire and replace it with a wire from the board?i have never had a problem like you describe with a 5 tone.makes me wonder if you broke into the key line correctly.you need to remove the wire going to pin 3 and replace it with one from the board,then solder that removed lead to another lead from the board.was this done??or are both wires just soldered to pin 3?

Can some one post simple instructions to wire the relay on a cobra 29 to stop the beep coming through the speaker trying to use a dpdt relay but not sure how to trigger it it's the same beep as described same color wires

The original instructions for the five-tone beep included this.

The relay needs three connections to the mike socket. The 'common' pin, is the seesaw between the two contacts. This goes to pin 1.

There is a wire on pin 3 that makes the radio transmit when grounded. This wire gets removed from the mike socket and now goes to the NO, or normally open pin of the relay.

The wire gets removed from pin 4 of the mike socket and goes to the "NC" or normally closed pin of the relay.

This leaves you two pins that connect to the relay coil. One side of the coil goes to your 12-Volt (13.8) supply on the circuit board. Each of a dozen flavors of "Cobra 29" will be laid out with slight differences, so you'll need to find that yourself. The other side of the relay coil goes to the yellow wire on the beep. The green wire from the beep now goes to pin 3 of the mike socket. Pin 4 will remain empty, with no wire on it.

This will now permit the relay to control when the speaker is connected. Keeps the speaker quiet while the beep is holding the transmitter keyed.

Some radios will exhibit an annoying "POP!" sound when you unkey the radio with this relay hookup installed in it.

And some don't. Only one way to find out. The way we fixed this was to use two relays, one for transmit and one for the receiver speaker.

Maybe some other time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.