• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 25 LTD Classic Service cost?

I have only ran a galaxys mobile, and when it is 20 below, it takes 2+ hours to stabilize. In a shack it probably wouldn't be that bad? I have a radioshack watt/swr meter, and it works plenty good enough. I don't see them on the website, so I don't know if you can get a new one. Bankruptcy really screwed up radioshack.

Hi,
Thanks!

I heard the Uniden Grant XL was dead stable on SSB...

And I don't see the need for a counter on a truck mounted radio???

Seems you would run the clarifier by ear and watch the road?

You would pretty much just use the clarifier to tune in stations that are a little off.
Don't get too hung up on the grant xl. As long as they aren't made in China, the 148gtl is the same radio, as is the grant lt. The grant xl got hyped up because they were once cheaper than the 148gtl. Somehow that hype has stuck, and now the 148 is usually cheaper.

Hi,
Thanks!

The Uniden 980 was mentioned and I'm looking at it now?

Admittedly I'm more old school but if it is a quality product???

Any thoughts?

If you want a radio to modify; then the 980 isn't that radio. It will fry. Use it as is - or not at all. Or find out the hard way with your own cash. But as it is, it does very well w/o modding.

To get a radio re-capped should go for about $60-$75. Alignment is about ~$50/ish, depends on if it is a AM only or SSB radio. AM only radio alignment should be about ~$40; recap about ~$45.

If you want a SSB radio; then do not mod it for AM performance, as you will have crummy SSB performance. The only mod that works well with a SSB radio is getting it peaked, as this also improves AM performance w/o ruining SSB performance without the need of stupid hacks/mods.

There are a couple of guys I would not send a radio to, such as Snake Radio. As he just charges too much money and will chisel all he can - or he won't want to do the job.

Just my experience . . .

Last edited:
The 980 is a prime candidate for a low drive amp. Since the final is the weak spot of the 980, so turning it down to run an amp should prolong it's life anyways.

Hi,
Thanks Gentlemen!

If I wanted to run a small amp with the 980, I would have to have the AM set to about 1.5 amps?

What is a decent trouble free 40 or so small amp I could use?

Would I need a fan? Thanks!

Hi,
No one had anything to say about my antenna pick.

It's suppose to be one of the best for my application?

I guess I could put a stock 980 in with the new antenna and see what I think before any amp business???

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.