• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 25LTD Classic 10 meter mod?

there are lots of 10 meter radios floating around on the internet and localy, you shouldn't have any trouble finding one.

Well I found someone that is going to trade me an old 23 channel crystal based radio, and if I remember correctly if you swith the TX and RX crystals and re-align it you should be on 10 meters, or maby I have just been reading too many Internet articles. :D

I also found a cool mod to put a 49Mhz Baby monitor on 6 Meters, and as chance has it , I found a weird monitor that is a transceiver and not just a transmitter like they always are, but this is just for the 49Mhz crystal based units.

T23

No Robb I don't have a license... I have been wanting to get a license but I have searched the Internet over and can't find much info, like how much is the license fee if there is one, or where and how do i take this test, and what does it consist of, but on a side note , I have also been putting it off because I thought I would get a license after I acquired the equipment , There wouldn't be much point in getting a license and having no equipment requiring that license.

Could somebody point me in the right direction?

Heres some links to the mods I was referring to in my last post, I think y'all will find them interesting...

23 Channel CB on 10 Meters http://www.qsl.net/wj5o/cb2bcn.htm

49Mhz Baby Monitor on 6 Meters http://radionut53.tripod.com/id438.html

T23

Dakota

why use a cobra 29

T23 - do you have a Ham license?
Why are you interested in operating on bands that require a license? Like 6m and 10m - as examples...
There are online practice tests that can train in in areas that you need to know for the Ham exam - if you are considering that.
Nothing wrong with getting basic training thru the use of a CB first - although some will disagree...
its am,there isnt any am on there,fm on 29.600 but am?

Yeah.
Stay off of 10 meters - it is strictly a Ham band. Between 27.405mhz (ch 40) and 27.800mhz is the 'freeband'. The freeband is just below 10 meter.

I don't know if your JC Penney radio can be modified for the freeband; but your Cobra probably can. But not worth the expense to do it. The freeband is used by CB SSB radio operators in the Upper Side Band mode ('USB'). Your Cobra is incapable of doing SSB - obvious enough....
That wasnt very nice and totally uncalled for talkin to him that way when he just wants information and instructions and you com.ent his jc penny radio.
Ill make sure his cobra 25 goes 10 meter and hopefully your on 10 meter so you can hear his cobra 25 blasting audio worldwide on 10 meter.
Be polite dude nobody cares about 10 meter anymore including the fcc.

Well I found someone that is going to trade me an old 23 channel crystal based radio, and if I remember correctly if you swith the TX and RX crystals and re-align it you should be on 10 meters, or maby I have just been reading too many Internet articles. :D

I also found a cool mod to put a 49Mhz Baby monitor on 6 Meters, and as chance has it , I found a weird monitor that is a transceiver and not just a transmitter like they always are, but this is just for the 49Mhz crystal based units.

T23
Your cobra 25 would require a channel kit for 10 meter use like the expo 100 S- channel kit for the cobra 25 ltd.
DDS-VFO in a cobra 25 youll have all the bands the radio can handle

I realize that having 10 meter on a radio thats AM only wouldnt be much fun at all but its still cool and still appreciated like all other illegal radio mods from back in the day haveing 10 meter channel kit in a cobra was so kool it would change a mans social status.

Is there a way to convert this particular radio to 10 meters?

Any Ideas/comments?

T23
The best way would be to purchase a channel kit from ebay called the expo 100 channel kit and for cobra 25 it would require the S- type channel kit.
Or if you have a little more funds to spend u can go to lesters customs website and look at his channel kits they have more than 120 channels.
And theres the DDS-VFO.
Dont pay attention to these super serious ham guys theyre a bunch of squares anyway.

This thread deserves a nomination for The Most Ridiculously Amusing Thread on the Forum Award. Or maybe for the How to Flush Good Money Down the Crapper Award. Just imagine the change in your social status with a win of one of those..............

That wasnt very nice and totally uncalled for talkin to him that way when he just wants information and instructions and you com.ent his jc penny radio.
Ill make sure his cobra 25 goes 10 meter and hopefully your on 10 meter so you can hear his cobra 25 blasting audio worldwide on 10 meter.
Be polite dude nobody cares about 10 meter anymore including the fcc.
Robb was simply pointing out obvious facts about trying to put a very limited radio on ten AM.
Even if you waste the money on a channel kit or the DDS vfo mod will not get the radio to cover from the 10 meter AM Sub band all the way down to the regular 40 channels.
As LC has pointed out It would be much more useful to start off with a multi mode radio for this.
Even the OP agreed that it would be limited.
I encourage anyone interested to go for the ham ticket and get on ten, you can work voice on ten with a tech license, and it's not that difficult to pass.

You are dead wrong that no one cares about Ten meters, we use it a lot out here, weekly SSB nets, FM Repeaters, FT-8, CW, data and guys that like to play on AM are there as well.
Maybe you should take your own advise and
"
Be polite dude

"

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N and Crawdad
Dont pay attention to these super serious ham guys theyre a bunch of squares anyway.
Many of us "squares" have been around here and keeping this radio forum going for years, without discrimination against one type of radio, be it Ham, CB, GMRS, Freeband, FRS, and about anything else you can think of.
Let's move along now......

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.