• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 25LTD Classic 10 meter mod?

T23

Apr 17, 2010
Is there a way to convert this particular radio to 10 meters?

Any Ideas/comments?

T23

Yeah.
Stay off of 10 meters - it is strictly a Ham band. Between 27.405mhz (ch 40) and 27.800mhz is the 'freeband'. The freeband is just below 10 meter.

I don't know if your JC Penney radio can be modified for the freeband; but your Cobra probably can. But not worth the expense to do it. The freeband is used by CB SSB radio operators in the Upper Side Band mode ('USB'). Your Cobra is incapable of doing SSB - obvious enough....

Reactions: NZ8N
T23, your question has thrown me for a loop.:confused:

please explain why you want to do this and what portion of 10 meters you hope to operate on?
LC

Well HAM equipment is VERY hard to come by around my area...So I would like to convert this radio to 10 meters. I have seen other 10 meter conversions , the frequencies are "Channelized" but I really don't mind that...
T23

Well HAM equipment is VERY hard to come by around my area...So I would like to convert this radio to 10 meters. I have seen other 10 meter conversions , the frequencies are "Channelized" but i really don't mind that...And its not likely to cause much disturbance due to only having a 4 watt output, if I can get this converted I would like to cover as much of the band as possible.

T23

First of all, no one uses AM on the 10m band.
The Cobra 25 is an AM-only radio

Second - and I cannot stress this enough - is that it is ILLEGAL for you to operate on that band. Hams will track you down. Then, you may well get a heavy fine. The FCC listens to Hams on these issues - trust me!

Reactions: NZ8N
Completely forgot about the Am/FM issue...

Yeah, just seeing what I could do with the radio, I think I rather just keep it like it is, just something interesting I thought I could try that I saw on youtube, but they could only receive 10 meters...

T23

I am working on another project for 6 meters, but thats a different topic...

T23

There is AM on ten meter, from about 29-29.2. FM is 29.5-7 also.Narrow band FM only below 29 meg. AM is legal anywhere in phone portion for general and above.
Rich

Reactions: NZ8N and 543_Dallas
Ok I thought there was AM on the 10 meter band aswell, I have chart right here, problem is , is getting the Cobra on that frequency range to begin with...

Had a look at my chart, FM is only from 29.6 - 29.7MHZ

T23

Hey t23 in all of your post you are always talking about how hard it is to come by radio gear in your area. Why not buy used or new online? Just a thought to help you get some gear.

T23 - do you have a Ham license?
Why are you interested in operating on bands that require a license? Like 6m and 10m - as examples...
There are online practice tests that can train in in areas that you need to know for the Ham exam - if you are considering that.
Nothing wrong with getting basic training thru the use of a CB first - although some will disagree...

I would buy on-line buy shipping is a pain...And there are 3 local CB shops but they are asking waaaaay to much for there used equipment and they don't really have what I need at all because they cater mostly to truckers rather than your local radio enthusiast looking for base equipment.

T23

I do CB radio as a hobby, Ever since I converted an AM/FM radio to pick-up shortwave I have been wanting to get into the shortwave bands, I had originally traded a laptop for a Yaseu FT-101B Radio without power cord to get me started, I then bought the powercord I needed on ebay, then when I got it in the mail I quickly hooked the Yaseu up to an antenna and power, I was going to see if I could pick-up anything to test the unit, then when I turn the radio on and the heaters ( two separate switches, keep in mind this is a tube radio), it blew up, sparks went flying everywhere out of the hood, and smoke started rolling out of the top, I then un-pluged it , and opened the hood, apparently the power transformer burned up...

T23

ok fair enough.

the simple answer is no, the 25LTD is not a good candidate for this type of mod.

your JC penny radio however, has SSB, and has the PLL02A chip in it, which is quite modifiable.
putting a CB radio on 10 meters is no small task, and you have to know what you are doing and have the right test equipment to make it work.

anyone can add a switch and a few wires to a PLL chip to get a few channels above and below the CB band, but jumping to 10 meters is another story all together.

there are so many radios around with 10 meter capabilities, that if you put some effort into it, i bet you can find one, maybe even locally.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.