• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 ltd faceplate removal

805 california

Jun 29, 2016
San luis obispo, ca
How do you remove the faceplate on a cobra 29 ltd so you can access the bolts and wires. I know to obviously take the 4 screws out on the faceplate/chassis, but it it looks two peices. Everytime I try to take it off there is a nightmare of wires and other things restricting me. Do you have to separate it at the little lip on the faceplate? Maybe put a flathead between the lip and pry it apart? Is it epoxied? Thanks....

How do you remove the faceplate on a cobra 29 ltd so you can access the bolts and wires. I know to obviously take the 4 screws out on the faceplate/chassis, but it it looks two peices. Everytime I try to take it off there is a nightmare of wires and other things restricting me. Do you have to separate it at the little lip on the faceplate? Maybe put a flathead between the lip and pry it apart? Is it epoxied? Thanks....
Are you talking about the bezel or the faceplate?
The bezel takes 4 screws, be forewarned the LEDs will be stuck to the bezel and stop you from pulling it out all the way...

The faceplate on the other hand is glued directly to the front of the chrome bezel and should not be removed unless you are going to re-glue it.

-Leap

Are you talking about the bezel or the faceplate?
The bezel takes 4 screws, be forewarned the LEDs will be stuck to the bezel and stop you from pulling it out all the way...

The faceplate on the other hand is glued directly to the front of the chrome bezel and should not be removed unless you are going to re-glue it.

-Leap
Yeah the bezel looks like two different pieces and I'm just wondering how people remove the bolt on the channelled selector and wires on the ch 9 switch. I take the 4 screws out and the whole bezel only comes out like an inch with all the wires connected. Thanks

Yeah the bezel looks like two different pieces and I'm just wondering how people remove the bolt on the channelled selector and wires on the ch 9 switch. I take the 4 screws out and the whole bezel only comes out like an inch with all the wires connected. Thanks
Usually for the nuts that hold on the potentiometers for the controls at the front of the radio and the channel selector a deep well socket is used. As far as the little switches holding you back, once you have the plastic bezel removed the switches will generally be screwed in on the older radios there was a separate metal piece that went across in behind the plastic bezel. on the new 29LTDs I believe there is no metal behind the bezel, and so the screw holes may only be accessible behind the faceplate which is glued into the bezel. I cannot confirm that tonight but tomorrow I will look at my Chinese made cobra and see what it looks like behind the bezel for you if you haven't gotten it sorted yet.

-Leap

The channel selector shouldn't stop you unless it's like the one on my Philli Cobra 25.
Older 29 LTD with the metal behind the bezel.
[photo="medium"]4108[/photo]Below is my Cobra 25, the faceplate removed permanently! These screws are backwards compared to factory..
So you should be able to get a small screwdriver in behind the bezel and remove switches because the nuts will be glued/lodged in the front side of the plastic.. And use a deeeep well socket for the channel select.
[photo="medium"]4109[/photo]
[photo="medium"]4110[/photo]
This Chrome part is the bezel so the nut has to be removed first on this style.

Last edited:
The channel selector shouldn't stop you unless it's like the one on my Philli Cobra 25.
Older 29 LTD with the metal behind the bezel.
[photo="medium"]4108[/photo] Below is my Cobra 25, the faceplate removed permanently! These screws are backwards compared to factory..
So you should be able to get a small screwdriver in behind the bezel and remove switches because the nuts will be glued/lodged in the front side of the plastic.. And use a deeeep well socket for the channel select.
[photo="medium"]4109[/photo] [photo="medium"]4110[/photo] This Chrome part is the bezel so the nut has to be removed first on this style.
Thank you for the reply! So yeah I'm looking to take the chrome bezel off to make wires and switches more accessible to work on. I got a new chrome ltd. So your saying take the channel selector nut out and that will separate the chrome bezel from the radio? Thanks forby our time,big really appreciate it!

What I am trying to show you is that Cobra mobile radios have a different configuration for the bezel throughout the years. You will have to determine what they decided to do for your style radio and learn how it was assembled without destroying it in the process...

What I am trying to show you is that Cobra mobile radios have a different configuration for the bezel throughout the years. You will have to determine what they decided to do for your style radio and learn how it was assembled without destroying it in the process...
10-4, I figured they were pretty much all the same. Thanks for the pics, they really helped!

This is a very old thread but I'm hoping that someone can help me on this. I'm trying to replace my scratched up bezel on a Cobra 29 ltd Classic and I'm having a very hard time. I've read all the advice previous but none of it helps. I've removed all the screws which attach the plastic bezel to the metal plate that is behind it. I've unsoldered the mic plug. I've removed the four screws that attach the bezel assembly to the side frame of the radio. Nope, it still won't come off. It seems that the part that is stubborn is the channel selector/channel led assembly. Is this thing glued to the plastic bezel? I don't want to force anything and destroy things. Any more advice on this topic? Please, this is a maddening procedure!!!!

I did take the nut off which frees up the selector itself but it seems that the channel led display and the tx/rx and ant warning light are glued to the plastic bezel. At least that how it seems.

Nomad, finally got it apart. Indeed, they used hot glue to hold the led board to the rear of the bezel. Man that made it difficult to disassemble! Goes to show that you never can tell with these 29s. So many slight variations to them. If anybody else runs into this, just use a sharp X-acto blade and carefully slice back the glue until it releases from the bezel. At least that worked for me. Thank you for the help, Nomad.

I have used Spaz Stix on other hobby jobs and I can tell you it's some great paint with very cool effects. I can't see why it wouldn't work well on the plastic bezel. Just make sure that you use the proper backing color depending on what paint you use for the right effect. 73

I have used Spaz Stix on other hobby jobs and I can tell you it's some great paint with very cool effects. I can't see why it wouldn't work well on the plastic bezel. Just make sure that you use the proper backing color depending on what paint you use for the right effect. 73
Thats good news. Ive watched a few videos but like to get hands on reviews too if i can. There arent many options for bezel replacement or refinishing but i can get face plate decals all day long lol.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.