• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 LTD

Hay Wagon

Aug 4, 2012
I have a Cobra 29 LTD made in Taiwan. The mic comes out of the side of the unit and not the front. My question is this, when I look up Cobra radios is this one considered a 29 LTD Classic? I have read enough to find out the Cobra radios with the mic coming out the side are more desirable than the ones with the mic coming out the front. Can you guys tell me if this radio is worth getting sent off for some tuning. I was told once that the best cobras came from the Philippines and then the ones from Taiwan were not as good but still better than the ones from China, is this true? Anyway anything you guys can tell me I would greatly appreciate. Also I am looking to buy a new radio and after reading kind of have my search narrowed down to a Stryker 447 HPC or the Uniden 880. I dont live real close to a major interstate so I need something that will reach out. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with sending it off. There are many many mods for that radio. This guy does great work.

Custom CB radios

As far as your new purchase, wow. The Uniden 880 & Stryker 447 are two very very different radio's.

I have had cb's for years in my pick ups, but I am ashamed to say I am just now getting educated on them. I know the Stryker is a 10 meter radio, which with what I can find means its a cb with ssb plus a hamm radio, right? The 880 is just a cb with ssb. What I am needing is a cb with some power. Where I live there is alot of distance that with a normal cb, an out of the box 4 watt job, it does not reach far enough. So what cb would be best to have tuned to reach out, or which one would be best with a linear.

Thanks

This particular unit would be for my pick up, but I am rigging a base station up in my shop, so if you would explain why the choice would be different.

Thanks

Ok, if it was me, I would put a stryker in the mobile with a good antenna and have the other on the base again with a good antenna (higher the better).
Your 29 is a good radio, get it tuned up by a good tech and maybe a small amp to match it.

I have had cb's for years in my pick ups, but I am ashamed to say I am just now getting educated on them. I know the Stryker is a 10 meter radio, which with what I can find means its a cb with ssb plus a hamm radio, right? The 880 is just a cb with ssb. What I am needing is a cb with some power. Where I live there is alot of distance that with a normal cb, an out of the box 4 watt job, it does not reach far enough. So what cb would be best to have tuned to reach out, or which one would be best with a linear.

Thanks

Nothing to be ashamed of... that's why we all come here and ask questions. :) The market has changed quite a bit over the years. The 447HP is an export AM/FM unit. THe Uniden 880 is AM only CB. If you're wanting sideband, the Stryker 955HPC and Uniden 980 both have that mode.

As mentioned previously, the 29 is a solid rig. Have it tuned right and it will be a talker.

RT307

I know the Stryker is a 10 meter radio, which with what I can find means its a cb with ssb plus a hamm radio, right?

The Stryker is a 10 meter radio, but it's not exactly a ham radio. It comes from the factory set up to work on the 10 meter ham band, but it's geared more for the CB crowd.

The reason it come set up to run on the 10 meter band, is so Stryker can sell them w/o getting slapped with a fine....because the FCC says CB radio is limited to 4 watts of power and 40 channels. But we all know how CBers want more than 4 watts of power and want more than 40 channels....that's where your export radios such as Stryker come into play.

The idea is you plan to have the radio converted to work on the 11 meter citizens radio band. The big issue is when you flip the band switch and wind up on the non speaking CW area of the 10 meter band, and Mr. Ham operator, who is trying to practice his morse code skills or just has his scanner on 28.025, then uses his signal detecting gear to locate your signal, then writes down anything he can on you (address, make/color/license tag of your car....and sends this info in to the FCC....who eventually send you a nice letter in the mail telling you to cease illegal operation on the 10 meter band or they will be back to fine you.

Now you mention you need a CB with some power....believe it or not, 4 watts will let you talk a good ways. (I've talked up to 14 miles mobile to mobile on stock 4 watt AM CB radio) Power is great for breaking thru pile ups but it's not always the answer for range. The answer for increasing range, is a good antenna (102 whip is the best but too tall for some applications; the Wilson 1000 and 2000 trucker are also great antennas), a low SWR (you want a 1.5:1 if possible, but a 2.0:1 will be ok) and good coax, not that cheap stuff sold at Radio Shack. All of this will ensure your radio is sending out it's signal the best it can.

If you still think you need power, look into adding an amp to work with your Cobra. You will want to have the dead key dropped down to 1-2 watts on most amps.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.