• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 LTD

This one I used
That cap would be my choice also and like Andy said, make sure the negative end is towards TR18. Hard to say if the original cap is a non-polarity type, even with your photo. I believe there's a testing method for determining if it's a non-polarity type and another test to determine the negative lead on a polarized type, but I never had the need for that type of testing.

I only caution because I've seen nearly brand new radios come across my desk with just two parts swapped out - and one of the electrolytic blew up - exploding it's guts - aluminum shrapnel - everywhere - shorting out several paths.

All because the owner reworked two caps and not sure if their tech did this or they did this to their radio - all for an audio upgrade. But putting in wrong rated or in the wrong direction it will make a mess and ruin a good radio real quick if you use wrong rated parts and / or - they're installed wrong direction.

Can't stress that enough.

Reactions: Tokin
Just look the board Lol. With stock mike it sound more loud work 1uf 50v

Attachments

• 81AEA5DA-A5CE-4EB5-8003-CCA5C2331872.jpeg
    81AEA5DA-A5CE-4EB5-8003-CCA5C2331872.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
Tr23 - main Regulator...

R117 - Bright / Dim dropping resistor - works with TR22 - so R117 SUPPLIES power thru TR22 for the Bright and Dim function.

TR23 supplies regulated power to many sections - including the 5 volts PLL regulation and the 10.240MHz Delta Tune and the SWR ANT warn light.

Since it covers a large area of traces - any spots causing this heating problem? Else some heat is normal - but tarnishing silver and the smell of hot electric, is not...

Best way to look for this is to put a meter on the power input to the radio and adjust volume, squelch, Bright Dim - various functions and watch the meter to see if a section, when it comes up powered, makes the meter climb drastically.

Since you've found one old cap questionable, this radio may have seem a spike in voltage and or current to the power leads into the radio - this may indicate a problem with age and or power reversal. So caps may still be in the cards as far as needing replacement.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.