• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 29 lxle problems

Ashtonford

Aug 4, 2006
I recently got a new cobra 29 lxle radio and it was set for dead key of 2 watts, ow the problem is after hooking up the radio to my RM KL203-P amp after keying up the mike I have to key the mike 2 or 3 times to get the receive to work so you can hear it. Its like its sticking. When I turn the amp off the radio works fine no sticking. I tried the amp on my general lee and it worked fine no sticking. Any help here would be appreciated

your amplifier is going into oscillation.

these amps are notorious for this.

you could be overdriving it, or it could need to be shielded better from the radio.

the first thing i would try is lowering the deadkey from the radio to a bit less than a watt.

see if this still happens.

these amps do not play well with all radios.
LC

What size jumper are you running? Sometimes a longer jumper will help. As stated, a 2 watt dead key is at the point of being tooo much for the smaller KL amps to handle.

Just a quick search around shows that a 1-1/2 watt dead key is the max you want to run with this amp as posted above. Over driving the amp will only distort the signal and make you sound muffled. Get that dead key lowered, might not be a bad idea to have a properly installed variable power that will go from 0-5 watts max. This way you can run whatever you want when you decide to upgrade when the bug bites. Good luck and hope you get it sorted out. God bless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.