• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 no transmit but meter goes to 20w and stays

Jeremy66

Jan 2, 2020
Cobra 29 Ltd. just got it. Hooked it up and watt meter goes to 20 and holds. Shows no modulation, tx light goes away. Has no talkback or PA.

That radios an Oops...

If that's brand new, better return it...it is defective...save yourself a headache and let warranty take care of that one...

When you have a condition like that, to me, as I see it - it's a cascade failure caused by a short...As to where the short is? That's a good question - I've seen them from the power regulator onto a badly wired switch...

I have seen a lot of Cobra 29s of over a dozen different types the last 45 years, but this is a symptom I don't remember seeing before.

Might be nice to know what the frequency of that 20 Watts is. Seems likely it won't be the frequency of the channel on the selector.

Reactions: NZ8N
Cobra 29 Ltd. just got it. Hooked it up and watt meter goes to 20 and holds. Shows no modulation, tx light goes away. Has no talkback or PA.

Well, by that description it's pretty vague...

IT's the "TX light goes away." - meaning you cannot TX at all no light, or the Green goes "blank" or out...There are choices here, and you need to provide more information so we aren't left to guess and give you the WRONG information - which is just about the same and is the end-results...

Then - trying to sort this all out - that means several things still - again see above, you have a radio with a lot of work in troubleshooting ahead of you - if its' new, send it back. If it's old - return it back to the owner - you simply do not want this - to fix it would take up a lot of posting space, messages back n forth and a lot of re-starts

The "goes to 20" reference can mean you counted beans and that's what you got - no reference to any frequency or even if you used a dummy load, was the Mic wired correctly - and you were using an older Archer SWR/Power meter from Radio Shack...or you were looking at an ammeter out of an old Chevy and 20 amps and a lot of cherry red and smoke is what's occurring at the current time...

BTW...
upload_2020-3-4_7-27-37.png

Because you NEVER know...​

If you expect a instant solution to fixing that radio, by what you left behind for us to figure out - you are taking quite a leap of faith...

Not Responsible for Articles left in Clothing...
Please Extinguish all Smoking Materials before opening...
Failure to Follow Instructions can result in Damage, Injury and or Death.

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.