• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 29 questions.

jamesmm

Oct 21, 2012
hello everyone. stumbled across here looking for info and have some questions. I have a cobra 29 ltd classic se from oct 96. it was in a violent car crash and went on the shelf for 10 years. I got it out to put in my peterbilt and have discovered the following issues. the signal meter does not work, the nr switch has no effect anymore, and when I squelch it I can't hear anyone more than 50 yards from me. with the squelch out I can talk and hear, in one instance near 10 miles. any thoughts on what I should do? I have 1 cb shop accessible but have heard a lot of bad reviews but no personal dealings... thanks. ~ james

I wouldnt worry with it the meter issue and everything is too much to worry with.go to a yard sale or shop and buy another one.Esp it being put up a long time

finding a used radio around here is tough unless it is from a shop. @ the moment buying another one is out of budget. what do you mean by selling it? it only partly works, can't see where it would be worth it.

finding a used radio around here is tough unless it is from a shop. @ the moment buying another one is out of budget. what do you mean by selling it? it only partly works, can't see where it would be worth it.

You have been out of the CB biz for a while! If it's 10 years old list it eBay as a classic, vintage and rare and if it was manufactured in any Asian country except China it will automatically double in value...but I have no idea why ;)

hello everyone. stumbled across here looking for info and have some questions. I have a cobra 29 ltd classic se from oct 96. it was in a violent car crash and went on the shelf for 10 years. I got it out to put in my peterbilt and have discovered the following issues. the signal meter does not work, the nr switch has no effect anymore, and when I squelch it I can't hear anyone more than 50 yards from me. with the squelch out I can talk and hear, in one instance near 10 miles. any thoughts on what I should do? I have 1 cb shop accessible but have heard a lot of bad reviews but no personal dealings... thanks. ~ james

Do you know if anything was done to it...almost sounds like they swapped the RF control into the squelch? Maybe they put something else on the NR switch?

The meter can be replaced, but it will cost you probably as much as the radio is worth at this point...

power was turned up, and a roger beep hard wired. other than that it did 5 somersaults down the hwy in my nissan. yes, I have been away from the radios for a while. driving trucks w/ hi-power company radios who banned us from putting personal ones in.

I would send it in to a qualified tech and have it gone over. DTB radio is super and a forum member. Doug at Custom CB Radio is also good to deal with.

If it is an older Uniden built Cobra 29 it's well worth fixing. The Maxon and China built radio's were really cheapened up so much I would skip the newer ones. We won't even talk about the Soundcrappers.

my biggest problem in sending it off anywhere is I drive a log truck and it is required in a lot of the mills. + I do remember seeing china on the back.

Five rolls and still working. was it still mounted when the ride was over? sorry to hear that, hope you made out ok. For 99.00 at amazon you can get the new cobra 29LX open the modulation yourself VR4 and use the stock mic and have a new radio with weather,Talkback, 4 different colors,day night dim, clock, alarm, and more.... It may have a special chanel to contact Santa during the holiday season. Just an option. a radio shop could fix the radio and problems may return. If it was just haveing problems without the crash you might be ok wit a repair. Was it stored in a dry location inside???

I have to agree with some of the other posts. Even if it's an older unit, with the shop rates being what they are today and adding in parts your up to the cost of a new radio real quick. I know with our shop rates you would be at half the cost of a new one with just the labor alone after an hour.

Even though that radio was Made in China it is better than the new ones. It is a collectors item and you may want to have some one look at it. If the price to fix it is fair I would keep it.
My opinion.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Yeah that's sounds bad and not in good way. Seem like operator error with too much echo and possibly a stock Mic picking up to much background noise. I use to like echo in my radios but ever since u got into sideband I like my radio echo free. I do hear occasionally a radio with echo that sounds good on AM, but not very often.

"That sounds amazing" LOL!

Heh. Echo. I was really excited when I bought a radio with echo. I finally had a "cool" feature.

Then I realized how annoying it was to listen to, and turned my echo off. I actually just had to look at my current radio to see if echo was even a feature.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.