• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 29

You could use a 2sc1969 or one of the substitutes out there... I prefer the 1969 over the erf2030.... but the erf2030 is another one you can use. The problem with the erf2030is when you are NOT running an amp..... the carrier power is a little on the low side. With the 1969 you can get more carrier power and still a good amount of swing. With the erf 2030 you run low carrier and lots of swing... alot of the time its more swing than you need.
When you peak up a radio for barefoot use you want to give a good blend of carrier power (for range) and swing (for loudness). Too much carrier will give you range but you sacrifice loudness... too much swing will make you loud (and distorted) but won't give you range.
A blend of both is good.... and the 2sc1969 will do that nicely. I would also recommend using a 2314 driver as well... on newer cobra 29 they come with a 2314.... on the older ones its a 1957... the 2314 is what you want for a driver
Use the 1969 transistor, follow the instruction for getting the most out of it, and you won't be dissapointed.
Alot of guys use the erf 2030, but I still recommend the 1969 because of the carrier power thats possible. But the erf203 is another one you can use

I see CB20W workman finals on ebay alot also, they are supposedly 2sc1969 compatible. Like Bushwacker said ERF2030's are good for modulators, lots of swing.

zumlin said:
I see CB20W workman finals on ebay alot also, they are supposedly 2sc1969 compatible. .

Yea... those workman copies are a decent transistor.
I should check what they are selling for on ebay.. I wonder if the guys at PSF tech have them at their ebay store..
Zumlin.... what are they selling for on ebay?

The CB20W's seem to average Around $10 each w/ shipping.

Ive seen lower in the past.

The ERF2030's average around $5 each w/ shipping.

zumlin said:
I see CB20W workman finals on ebay alot also, they are supposedly 2sc1969 compatible. Like Bushwacker said ERF2030's are good for modulators, lots of swing.

I do not recommend them for 29's, 25's, etc. I've seen to many fail catastrophically even when installed absolutely perfectly. For Galaxy/Connex and similar radios, they seem to work fine IF you pay careful attention to biasing (in the SSB units).

DTB Radio said:
zumlin said:

I do not recommend them for 29's, 25's, etc. I've seen to many fail catastrophically even when installed absolutely perfectly. For Galaxy/Connex and similar radios, they seem to work fine IF you pay careful attention to biasing (in the SSB units).

So the ERF2030 would be your best choice for compatibility and reliability??

erf 2030

My question is,can i just change out the final or do i have to do the mosfet mod?.My radio is a connex 4400hp,it has the 2312s(dual) finals. thnx bigun :?:

The problem with the erf2030is when you are NOT running an amp..... the carrier power is a little on the low side. With the 1969 you can get more carrier power and still a good amount of swing. With the erf 2030 you run low carrier and lots of swing... alot of the time its more swing than you need.
Not true. It really depends on how the 2030 is installed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.