• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29LX problem

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
Hey guys, my cobra 29 LX has a loose volume/squelch knob. I took the covers off and didn't see any screws or anything to tighten. Is there an easy fix? Also, is this just an annoyance or is the knob going to break or be inoperable?

Thanks

I had to buy a replacement for mine. eBay is the best place to look. I don't remember who replaced it for me as it wasn't an easy 1,2,3 job that is for sure!! Those radios have crappy knobs! I replaced all mine except for the channels selector with ones off an old cobra 25. It has chrome knobs now. Works much better this way. The black knobs are cheap and suck!! JMHO.

Thanks for the replies. I may try glueing it. It had to be crappy QC or shipping because I have only used this radio a few times this past winter. This may be the perfect excuse for a SSB radio or getting into ham. :)

Reactions: 222DBFL
They are just poorly made man. When mine broke I thought the same, but after seeing the entire component, or encoder shaft or something they call it, it was apparent that this is a very weak spot on this radio as well as the black POS knobs they have that strip out or just get too loose. The radio itself is nice, but like I said, the knobs on mine were replaced with an older radios knobs. Might have a bit more chrome now, but it actually doesn't look bad. Not to me anyway. At any rate good luck glueing that piece back on and getting to work. I hope your knob itself is just stripped out or messed up, and not the enitre shaft piece. Like I said, had to take mine to a tech to have replaced.

Any way to post a couple of pics of where your channel knob is broken. Just curious man.

Sorry, I ment to say the actual shaft, not the knob. Needless to say, glueing is not going well...

It's time for a Kenwood or an Optima!

222DBFL do you get on 28 AM very much? I talked to a unit 222 in Florida this winter. Was that you or another 222?

Attachments

• IMG_20160519_031928.jpg
    IMG_20160519_031928.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20160519_031900.jpg
    IMG_20160519_031900.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Yep it might have been me. I'm the only 222 around here anyways. Daytona Beach, FL.
222. I get on 28AM every so often when the conditions are favorable for me with my Icom 746. If you talked to a 222 on the east coast of FL and they were in Daytona Bch., it was me. I don't get on there too often anymore as I am running an HF radio and they tend not to sounds real good on AM. Don't know what I sounded like. But Hopefully if it was me I didn't sound too bad.
222 Daytona Beach saying 73 and God Bless.
Sean.

And as far as the shaft, order another one and have it installed or if you are capable to do it yourself. I tried the glue, JB weld, and it won't hold to the crap pot metal they use. Like I said I like the radio but some parts are just way too fragile on it. Like that darn center knob. How it got broken I don't even remember. But anyways. Hope you get it fixed. Other than that I can't complain for what I paid for the one I got @ $40, it had the 1969 final conversion and it was a genuine one as well. I don't do AM much anymore but if you do venture into AM some and want a good radio, look at the kenwood 480HX. 200w and they don't sound bad at all on AM. Most radios can be made to sound decent, but some are harder than others as that isn't what they were built for. Optima mk3's aren't being made anymore. Might find a used one somewhere. But other than that they are all gone unless there are still some floating around in eBay. But if you really want to step up your power and radio, the kenwood 480sat or the 480HX would be good radios to look at as well as the Icom 7000, and some other radios as well. The strkyer 955 is supposed to be a pretty good radio. I think they have fixed all the bugs. Maybe someone will chime in and let you know. But if you are planning HF, do your research first and see which ones sound good on AM as well as SSB. JMHO. Have a good one.

I'm pretty sure it was Daytona Beach. You didn't sound bad at all. I was running my 29 LX through a little wil in Arizona at the time. Wish I had payed better attention at the time haha.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Me as well. What are your DX numbers, I'll look through my log book this afternoon and see if I have you logged as I normally will do that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.