1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Cobra 89XLR mic wiring is driving me ape

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by TruckerKevin, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Key? I don't need no stinking key!

2. sunbulls

sunbulls Sr. Member

First, you should not be able receive unless you have the mic plugged in. It’s the mics job that makes the receive connection, not any internal connection on the back of that jack. Therefore, keep the mic plugged in for further tests. Second, it looks like you might have 2 pins on the back of that jack that are soldered together. If that’s the case make sure they’re separated. Lastly, determine where the notch location is on the back of that jack. You will need to unplug the mic and look at the front of the jack to find the notch location. The following diagram shows each of the pins functions and numbers in relation to the notch as you’re looking from inside the radio.
    Hope this helps a little..
    cobra back.jpg

Shadetree Mechanic, NZ8N and Robb like this.
  3. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

I don’t think he can receive because all the wires are trashed. No ground on receive.

I find it annoying that in a Cobra you gave to plug a mic in to receive. But, if you ground that pin/wire so you can receive without a mic plugged in, you get talkback when you transmit. Annoying also.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.