• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra cam 89 info and mods`

kamikaze701st

Apr 21, 2009
i just had a cobra cam 89 given to me. it is in very good shape and very clean outside and inside. was wondering if anyone knew any modifications or tricks to really wake this radio up from the dead. i have already tweaked the power output on it. it now dead keys at 3.5 watts and swings to just over 20 watts with modulation. can i get some more out of this old radio, or is that about what shes got? any help with sprucing this thing up some more would be helpful. thanks.

Hi,

Those Cam 89s are nice radios! I've got a 23 channel Cobra 29 mobile that uses the same chassis.

The only thing I did with mine was change out the AM detector, NB, and ANL diodes with 1N6263s. They only run about 20 cents each, and make a BIG difference in receive "quality."

You might also want to replace all of the electrolytic capacitors to insure reliability. Your radio is at least 32 years old, and it is likely that the original capacitors need replacement as they "dry-out" with time and become less than effective... That'll set you back about $20.00 or $30.00 bucks. Mouser electronics is a good source for the caps and diodes.

You can also add a VFO if you need extra frequencies. I've got a Siltronix Model 90 on mine. I bought my VFO already converted for 29 MHz HAM use, and am not really sure what model VFO you'd need, though.

Good luck with your project - It's always nice to find folks using the old stuff!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1